Thursday, December 20, 2012

I See the Light!!!

Good things about having the power go off for almost 24 hours (yes, yes, I know some of you got power back a lot sooner than we did, but in MY neighborhood, it took until just a little while ago):


1. It is so beautifully quiet (sort of *)

2. I can lay on my 'star gazing cot' stitchless and no one is going to see me (I guess I should add that I'm also thankful that, nearing the end of December, this is possible here without the risk of freezing).

3. The freezer in my little fridge is now defrosted and I didn't have to do a thing.

4. I finished a good book and started another good book by the light of my awesome (battery run) lantern.

5. I have a propane stove, so I could make popcorn. And I did. I could have cooked a five course meal but that would have been ridiculous.

6. I went to the library this morning to charge up my phone and got to see a lot of people I haven't spent time with for awhile.

Bad things about having the power go off for almost 24 hours:

1. The power is off for 24 hours, meaning everything electronic with a battery goes useless.

2. (*see above) The guy across the street runs his incredibly loud generator all night long (which is a partial reason for number 2 up there, to get away from the noise).

3. I have to deal with being jealous of the guy across the street's generator, which I don't even totally understand. I definitely blew some good karma there. Again.

4. My giant wine embossed clock runs on batteries so I knew what time it was a l l n i g h t l o n g.

So on the whole, except for not really having any communication or viewing entertainment (why do all my 'why/what/where questions I run to the internet for come in droves when I can't look them up and then I forget them?), it's not so bad, not having electricity for awhile. But it is a kick in the butt for me to get some sort of solar charger around here.


This is not the sun. Or the moon. But it felt like it when I got home from town and every light I own, all three of them, were blazing away. Well, the funky shaped 'lectric savers don't blaze, but this one does.

Out under the real sun, I noticed that all of those little caterpillars are now gigantic caterpillars. So I, brainiac that I am, surmised I've never seen them in their tiny stage. Unless it's one of those end of the world preview things. Which I also give credit to the electric going out for so long. Of course, a preview usually means you'll be around to see the real thing and if the world ends, I guess that would be more called a teaser. Right?


They are so beautiful!! I wonder if the chickens would like to eat them? I'm sorry, that's just how my mind works.

Caterpillar art.

Ok, I am going to plug in every electric thing I own and use them now. Because I can.

Have a technologically teleported Thursday. Do something tokenishly thankfully.

8 comments:

  1. The caterpillars are beautiful! If they are destructive, it is the course of nature. Unless they are imported, think Florida, then it is man f**king with nature and that ain't good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea...but I can find out, I think! The destruction doesn't bother me, in fact, I don't even think of it as destruction anymore. The tree is fine, the leaves will return and some butt ugly moths will fly off for their very short time on earth. In the meantime, I get to marvel at these gorgeous caterpillars!

      Delete
  2. Those are the Cayman Brac caterpillars!
    I'd love to have a power failure for 24 hours. My generator is very very quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quiet generators make good neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feed them to the chickens..now that we know they aren't giant Mayans coming back to devour the universe....whew....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chickens, no. The caterpillars? I'm not so sure they aren't something otherworldly.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I wish they were money moths, as those are really beautiful. No, they are called hawk moths, or sphinx moths, not nearly as dramatic.

      Delete