Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Weird World (makes Culebra look so good)

The US is getting weirder, if that is possible. An email from my bro (who else) told about a SWAT team type situation in LaGrange, Ohio of a food co-op. Huh? Here is one of many articles about it so you can read the entire bit of insanity What next? By the way, when ever I read this sort of thing, I go to Obama's transition web site, and write a friendly little note on the link that asks for ideas. Here's an idea...do everything you can to give the real America back! Poor guy...

And really, what I WAS going to write about was a friend and her husband's adventure's with wireless internet. Antenna attempts. The Pringle can, the wok, the yelling inside and out of "No, this way, no, yes, a little more! OK, DON'T MOVE!" which of course would have left my friend on the roof all night. She moved. No more signal. The wok works quite well though, I do believe that was the upshot of a Stoop Night story. But since it's been a few days I can't promise that's true. Stoop Night can go that way...

Stoop Night is sort of like what women in the city might call TGIF, except it's not on Friday, we're not checking out guys and we bring our own libations to the stoop in question. Ok, so it's nothing like women in the city might do. No glamour, no dressing up, no tasty tidbits catered...just a few women who get together one night a week for catching up on what is going on, might be going on, will be going on and waving to people passing by. Sometimes Stoop Night moves over to Heather's, the pizza place. Out on the street, all the rest of the people we see 29 times a day are around to actually talk to, beyond a hello on the way to somewhere else. So we talk, eat, drink and are home by 9 p.m. at the latest...almost always. Really.

A few Culebra moments I liked today. One, a friend walking past the cart and seeing I had a package sitting there of the 'return, no postage needed' variety, saying, "Hey, want me to drop that off for you?" without me saying a thing. Sweet (thanks, Kim!). Two, a guy who works over here but lives in Vieques saying, "Hey, I saw your hot sauce guy on Vieques this morning before I left and asked if I could bring your cases over. He told me he didn't have them right then but would put them on the plane tomorrow. I hoped I could save you the plane fee." This guy just works here on a temp basis. His beautiful girlfriend comes over most weekends and they bought a mirror from me that he'd been looking at for a year (I wouldn't sell it a year ago...oh how times have changed). We talked hot sauce and Vieques...just nice people. And he does that? Life is nice.

The reason I was in town late enough in the afternoon to talk to him was because I got a call from a friend working at Butiki (a gift shop). A couple who'd come by the cart this morning wanted to buy something from me and I was closed when they got back there. The call was to give me the head's up (thanks, Linda!). I borrowed a car from another friend and scooted to town where the woman was waiting to buy one of Evan's prints that I had and Evan didn't (gotta love it). She said they had bought a house in the South of France, on the beach, and they wanted to have the prints for it. Sounds la de da? Not at all; she sounded as excited as a kid (a German kid). I congratulated the print and a little box she also bought for being able to go to France and wanted to add that any items bought from the cart had visiting rights inherently attached...but I didn't. After being thanked profusely for the opportunity to give me money, she and her delighted husband went on their way. I went to the colmado and delightedly bought juice. I would have bought something French, but alas...there was nothing French except frozen french fries. C'est la vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment