Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Another bridge update

Work continues apace on the bridge. Comments around town are positive, seeing that true repair and replacement is really going on. Well done, guys! Carry on.








While supposedly the bridge will be functional when finished, there is obviously not much point to it, with the water pipe on one side and the sewer pipe on the other (a local man told me the other day that even if those obstacles were not there, that it could not be dredged deep enough for many deep drafted boats, as the blue bitch rock couldn't be effectively gotten through, except by the use of explosives, which, by the time the bridge was built, would have been too dangerous to the surrounding structures - and humans - guess you can bomb the crap out of the beaches but not right in town - this is not a confirmed story), but architecturally, it is a very cool bridge; I've heard it is the only one of its kind (vertical lift bridge) in the Caribbean.

Growing up on a barrier island in Florida, with a wooden swing bridge over the river (to yet another island and river before the mainland), I've always been pretty intrigued with bridges, and having the cart right next to the bridge, I've had plenty of time to study it - so if I seem a little obsessive about the bridge? I am!

Here is a very cool page, if you are interested, of various vertical lift bridges  around the world, including the US. Some in use, some demolished, some, like ours, just functioning as a bridge across the water to get to the other side.

A boat I wouldn't give back if I won it in a contest 
(and that wouldn't make it under the bridge)

This would have been posted hours ago but I got so caught up in researching Mathers Bridge and vertical lift bridges...I got lost in time long ago. But I'm back and Bob's your uncle!

5 comments:

  1. oh, lets go cruising. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MJ, if the bridge is out, how do you get to that end of the island? Is there a detour. When is the bridge due to be completed/ We will be staying out near club seabourne July 17-24

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries, the bridge is only half out. They are doing one side at a time. They told me three months, so they will still be ata it while you are here, but it works very well, so don't worry about it. Usually they have a flagman taking care of 'who goes first. and it's so far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that website. I just emailed you a pic of one of my favorites, the Joe Page bridge in Hardin, IL.

    ReplyDelete