Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Paradox in Paradox

It's a quiet day for me here today even though there are a couple dozen things I could/should be doing. Ok, maybe three things and I got one done. On a roll!

So I'll go back to yesterday morning when I was walking to town and the sound of bulldozers clanging and banging got my attention. The municipality is on a cease and desist order from powers that be - namely the EPA, for irresponsibly endangering the surrounding lands/homes below, and waters due to potential landslides - because of dozing huge tracts at a time with only fabric fencing to control potential landslides. This is above the also shut down Coranel project, which went right through old stream beds - an action that has already led to major flooding and destruction during heavy rains.

But there they were, despite a direct order to ACDEC...I can only say, if I lived in the houses below this, I'd be boarding my windows...and screaming my head off. Instead, I just let the camera do the talking...





Since I wasn't hearing anything this morning (maybe because the fan is blowing about 1 foot away from my ear) I just went outside in the hopes that there was some ceasing and desisting going on...nope. This was taken about 10 minutes ago (uh, that would be Culebra 10 minutes ago).


Now, I don't know about you, but that just ain't right! If you feel motivated to question what the hell the municipality is doing...here are a few people you can write and ask. Be respectful, be concise, be active. Any writers have my permission to use any and/or all of these particular photographs if wanted.

Jaime Lopez <lopez.jaime@epa.gov>; 
Carl Axel Soderberg <soderberg.carl@epa.gov>; 
Tere Rodriguez <tere.rodriguez@epa.gov>
Judith Enck <Enck.Judith@epamail.epa.gov>

On the OTHER hand...if I turned around, and I did, I saw our once a year short time blossoming yellow flower trees. These grow wild around the island, showing up a lot on the way to Zoni in particular, but this one happens to be right next door to me. Oh joy! Glad no one is dozing it down...oops. If my trusty botanical sorts know the name of this, I'd be glad to know what it is called other than 'pretty yellow flowering tree'.


Because I am not a real political person (and really, I'm not), I was fairly bewildered to see an MJ For Mayor page on facebook. I didn't see the page until someone emailed, asking me what it was about. I told them it must be some other MJ but then I looked and saw that it was a joke someone put up. I couldn't join it though, because like the other M word, some things are only funny in a certain mood - unquestionably the mood in which that was posted. But apparently that is not stopping a certain as yet (yet) unnamed someone from carrying on with my campaign. Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself, well, I might not laugh much at all, dunno about you.

Law #1 No candidate should ever have a flattering photo

A few of us were discussing Happy Hour the other day, during Happy Hour...all the ramifications of what it means...and we concluded it should be all the time...regardless of beverage.  So...there you go; a platform I run on anyway...who needs to be Mayor for that!?

3 comments:

  1. yikes - it always so nice when you post all the pretty - make us want to be there now photos. These are so hard to look at. Where is this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is near/above Genesis (the little store). It is for the parcelas and the work must be done (unlike a few other building projects going on here than must NOT be done and are being fought against), but it is being done dangerously.
    Yes, I know it's not pretty...but it is part of life here and while the beautiful outweighs the not so beautiful, it just brings home how much we have to lose if we don't keep vigilant. No worries, beauty soon to follow...as it always does!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I did know that was happening and I'm relieved it's not an additional piece of land being turned over. One of the reasons we bought our land is that it's in an existing neighborhood and no additional land would be taken up by tourists like us who just can't get their fill of Culebra.

    By the way 24/7 Happy Hour? You have my vote.

    ReplyDelete