Friday, May 21, 2010

Yikes!

Since I've almost crashed my computer trying to post this, I think I'll go the very simple way, which loses a lot of energy but...keeps my computer going (though I still have somehow got 4000 + items on my desktop I don't know how to make go away...invisible but there...Lewis? HELP!)

Last night I headed over to Dinghy Dock for Amigos Night to prove to myself I hadn't become a complete social recluse. I am SO glad I did! A nice crowd schmoozed and (subliminal message approaching: BEER) enjoyed Grady playing. Even Doug played a little blues on Grady's guitar and after hearing a lot about his music days, I was really happy to realize, the man can play the blues! 


And then Conrad showed up, a sighting I'd almost given up hope on, but there he was...guitar soon to be in hand. The people who'd never met Conrad wondered who is this guy that those who do know him were so very happy to see. Answer: Conrad lived here (and Vieques) long before I was ever around, but I got to know him soon after I moved here. He and Greg built my gazebo and I got to know him better, along with having a few sessions of gazebo guitar time.


But the one thing Conrad used to do that can never be done again was to hang out on the Wall across from the pizza place (Chuck's Pizza, as he still calls it) and play music - and he can play & sing a lot of music and does both really well - with a lot of happy singing people enjoying the moment. I was lucky enough to get in on that before the Wall came down one sad day. Not long after that, Conrad moved off island and it all became a part of Culebra history. Somewhere in the archives I have photos of that last night...somewhere!

Chuck singing country

Judy off duty and Jeff

Doug Lisa & John on the breezy side

Conrad and Grady fit together like two who'd been playing and riffing off of each other for years, Grady on his harmonica, the two of them singing pretty much anything the crowd asked for, with some help on the mic. And no, it wasn't me. I really have learned my lesson. So far. Thanks so much, Conrad, for having coming to play with and for us - much enjoyed, mi amigo!



Some visitors from Atlanta yielded up J.T. - no, not James Taylor, another J.T. who was funny and could dance...really dance. Enough to dip me far enough to where I was praying to the god of muscles that his wouldn't fail him or I was going to have a very sore head. But he never came close to dropping me, or, he faked it really well and I was thanking the universe for young, strong guys who don't mind dancing with old women. Total energy fun! Thanks, J.T.!


I originally made a slideshow for this, because sometimes music and the energy it creates simply can't be translated into words (and it was a pretty cool slideshow too!). Maybe sometime when I get my tech mess untangled I'll do that. For now, it is what it is!

Great night, Neil, and thanks for the dances! Oh, and by the way, dear readers, anyone who has read this blog for long knows I'm not a beer drinking sort overall, but I sampled a few of the beers Neil and Steve have gotten in and they are good! In other words, they taste like something I want to drink, not something I want to turn a hose onto. As Walt put it, it's like having three sandwiches in a glass. If that makes sense to you, get on down to Dinghy Dock and support those new taps! And the new bottled beers as well.

Balloon John said I looked unusually happy (and took up my camera to prove it)
...I was

4 comments:

  1. oh. i am so definately homesick now. sounds like it was a Culebra Magic night. Conrad has that tendency. I miss that boy. Maybe we'll go see him this summer or get him up here. I would have loved to see you get dipped, and whoever managed to get the great shot of you and smiling at the same time gets major kudos from me. oh, and one question -- what else on earth would you call that area but Chucks' Pizza. the place of memories of thousands of years or so it seems of smiles and love and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was definitely one of those spontaneous magic nights...Conrad and a lot of love were in the house! Balloon John took the photos, I'll give him your regards. Lucky for me they were on my camera, so the ones you didn't see were at my discretion! Chuck's Pizza indeed... I missed that era, but I've gotten the bennies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, you were there -- maybe not in body, but definately in spirit. You would have just so blended in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was Chuck's, to me, for the years it took to get Oasis through my skull. Heather's is just starting to solidify in that vacuous space.

    Who remembers "The Other Chuck"?

    ReplyDelete