Sunday, May 16, 2010

Gail's Gone Away party

We laughed a lot, and danced and ate and drank and let the water carry us. Stories were told, but mainly we celebrated the now, this full circle year since Gail has gone away. It's been a long year and we were all ready to laugh til we cried, or cry til we laughed. With someone like Gail, you have to do both for love of her.

In those last days, she told Eric and me that she hoped she had time - first she hoped she'd be able to come home and talk to people, friends, kids...and then when she knew there wasn't time for that, she hoped to go around to those in the hospital with liver issues, that if there was hope, she wanted to say, 'Let me be your example of what not to do.' She didn't have time for either, so I'm saying it for her, as Eric does. But hey, truth is, we all know who might be a little closer to needing and understanding from the glass side that message, and fair guess, it's not Eric.

Eat drink and be merry, oh yes! But she wanted to say, to those she laughed and played with, if you are riding that too fast to the finish line pony...slow down, get off. Walk away and walk into the rest of your could be longer life. I know, I sound all corny and maybe even a little preachy, but that's the message she wanted to give and that's the message I'm giving for her, in my words, her meaning...and trust me, she meant it. Love you, Gail. You are so beautiful.


4 comments:

  1. there aren't words that i can express right now. just a hope that Gail's words of wisdom, through your voice, reach even one person.....that finish line can be so much closer than any of us realize.

    thank you dear one for sharing a beautiful day filled with so much love. And you're not preaching -- you're sharing the love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I only met Gail once, just a month or so before she got sick. It was clear she had some special kind of personality because she grabbed me off the street and wanted to know all about me/us after she put it together that I was the wife of that guy over there playing music. I wish I had had the opportunity to get to know her as well as you all did. My brief conversation with her was filled with the shared joys of Culebra and promises to spend more time getting to know each other "next time".

    Random comments:

    Dang, Francie got a hair cut!

    Gifford, don't let your cigarette ashes blow onto the burgers. You know it's windy there, right?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. An important message and I commend you MJ for being so authentic. Gail was lucky to have you near to hear her and speak for her, a year after her passing. Even I who didn't meet Gail can feel her hard-earned wisdom through your words. Thank you!
    Milton

    ReplyDelete
  4. TO GAIL !!!!!!! What a great presentation, MJ and music is perfect.

    ReplyDelete