Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A day of celebrations!


Today is my daughter Sarah's birthday - happy birthday, Bear!  My unexpected mini-me, she outdoes everything I taught her that was good, like being a more studious reader and a better cook, and sometimes walking the high wire higher than I ever did to terrify me to my bones... As Sarah puts it, " I love you, Mom. no matter how crazy we both are."And of course, I feel exactly the same about her. Except even more, because it is a Mama thing givng that extra dimension that never existed in my heart before she arrived on the scene. I'm glad you're in my world, Sarah - from the moment you became you in that quiet place within me.


Today is also the birthday of my oldest friend...well, she's not my OLDEST friend, but in the world of lifetime achievements, we've managed to stay in touch and heart close from the time we were 14 and I was trying to drag her into trouble. She the former cheerleader homebody, married forever, mother of four, living in one place longer than I've lived any place...me, the high school hippie chick, hopping around the earth, my three children scattered around the country, marriage long ago distanced...we've still managed to keep our friendship going. From roaring down the beach in her Mom's Super Beetle with Joni Mitchell on full blast, to her and her husband driving 1000 miles to meet Sarah when she was born (and try to teach me how to crochet), to having her little sister London babysit our kids while we cruised the Redneck Riviera in her Dad's 280Z...with Joni Mitchell playing full blast...eating oysters in every bar and dancing at the Hog's Breath Saloon, to staying in touch via phone and these day via internet...43 years have gone by in a tumultuous flash...and I wish you all the peace and joy and love you can stand, Rob...and bubbles on the beach too.


And then there is the Culebra celebration. Eight years ago today I came to Culebra for the first time. I camped at Flamenco, in a tiny little tent and met Henry, the campground guy then, who was the first person of so many that I fell in love with here, right after I'd fallen in love with Culebra. It took three days to be sure was the place for me, and another week to grab my things from St. Croix and call this home, a decision I've never regretted for a minute. Okay, maybe a minute every few years, but on the whole, it's still a steady love affair. Culebra has all the ingredients: she makes me laugh, and cry and be full of joy and be hair tearingly maddening, and always giving something that lets us kiss and make up. Changing and unchangable, my heart homeplace. Thank you, Culebra! This blog is for, and from you - (disclaimer) from my perspective, of course!


Yesterday a group of us were up at Ann's, painting and primping as she gets her fabulous home ready to rent out to lucky holiday couples (info soon on that). We come up out of love for Ann, along with the knowledge that all we have to do is turn around and have more of those fantastic views. Dakity, Vieques, the big island, St. Thomas, on a clear day St. Croix, surrounded by the hills and valleys below...it wasn't work, it was joy. One of the cool things that occured yesterday was a tremendous water spout moving along out at sea. Thanks, Pam, for calling our attention to that glory!

First sighting

Closer view

Waterspout pulling up the sea

Rain with a low rainbow sweeping in behind the spout

Sail Rock from Ann's

So the house got finished and looks wonderful, Nature put on a drama show, and as usual...a good time was had by all. Just another day on Culebra...

Dedicated to Culebra and all those who ask the questions...

I've got my celebration sandals on, hope you do too!

4 comments:

  1. what a nice blog!
    I really enjoyed this entry but then I enjoy all your entries. Congratulations on the birthdays!
    and congratulations on your love affair with Culebra.
    I will get there one day!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, thank you! And it would be a pleasure to have you here; hoping to get back to Sint M. one day as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Happy Happy Everything! I revel in and relish the happiness you are so lucky to enjoy on mi isla bonita every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Deb...I am a lucky one!

    ReplyDelete