Saturday, August 7, 2010

50 degrees...in August

Yesterday was supposed to be 'cool' here, around 70 degrees. So I wore jeans and a not sleeveless top to work. It was, instead, hot and humid and even I was hot inside. But that broke around 6 last night, with a stiff breeze forewarning the front coming through. When I got home, Laurie had laid some flannel jammies on my bed and I was happy to wear them (I'm still wearing them...I want to wear them to work).

Standing on the deck looking inside

As my time here seems to be racing to a close, I realized I want to take a few shots of what I do every morning on yard walkabout...checking the garden growth, looking at the light of the sun on the trees, staring into the woods. I can get some of it but not in its entirety; the way the air feels, silky grass under my feet (stepping around any doggie deposits, just in case this is sounding too idyllic), looking at the sky and thinking, oh! this is almost Caribbean blue! or it is grey or foggy or somewhere in between. Sometimes walking down to the river, hoping to see the eagle again but getting caught up in whatever I do see there, terns and gulls, herons and crows. Usually a glimpse of the osprey before they swoop away down the river, on the hunt. Sometimes the belly flash of a fish, the always changed look of the tides on the rocks and grasses.





It's beautiful here. Did I mention that? Or how my heart yearns, in comparison, for my own yard full of our birds, the iguanas - yes, even the iguanas? Which I'll take over slugs any day as a garden pest! But there are miles to go before I see that again. Kelli promises to keep it all together for me while I'm gone. Good job, chica, thanks!


Have a seeking Saturday! Be open for serendipity.

No comments:

Post a Comment