Thursday, August 12, 2010

Herons and horns

Boy, time is flying here now, at a galloping pace it seems. We're ticking off 'things yet to do' and one of them last night was a meal at Bet's Fish Fry. You know how every once in awhile you just have to eat something fried, so it better be really good? Well, Bet, who is quite a character, and I felt right at home with her (turns out she lived on St. Croix for awhile), makes a fried fish as good as any I've ever had - and I've only had a few that I would call reliably good unless I made it myself! Phil and I ordered the Fish in a Dish (and of course, I forgot to take photos, for some reason), a whole haddock, which was about three times as big as I expected - Phil helped when I couldn't go for one more bite; Laurie got the Fish 'n Chips in a Dish, which was a half order and fries, which was also more than enough. It was ultra good, not greasy, incredibly priced yum! Thanks, Bets!

We'd actually packed a picnic 'supper' as they say around here, to go to the commons and listen to the Bath Community Band, something they seem to have around Maine (as I remember seeing in the Midwest as well on summer nights in the park), but when we saw there was no huge line at Bet's and it was on our 'to do' list, we figured the picnic things could wait.

The kids (and dogs) on the lawn playing and dancing were rivals for my attention to the band, where enthusiasm exceeded aural pleasure a bit, but it was a lovely, nostalgic sort of evening - and Bet's is now another 'done did it!' on my list.

I was still in the woods taking photos when Phil came down to tell me it was time to go. Thankfully he rescued me from taking one more damn heron photo. Too bad for you though, he didn't quite get there in time to stop me from taking any!




Ok, I'm done - for now. On to the horns section of our show!




Beautiful hands (yes, I know this is a woodwind, not a horn)


Directing

A late summer evening in Boothbay Harbor, Maine

A good time was had by all...at least it looked like it to me. Thanks, Bath band!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For those who have asked (and thanks for all the positive thoughts, vibes, prayers): my brother has had his second surgery and gets to wear this contraption for a few months, with 18 pins screwed into his leg, knitting the bones back together. The lesson, boys and girls? Do not go up on a ladder with no one near you. Do not wear flip flops on a ladder. Make sure your ladder is securely footed (so you can be too).

Even with all of those precautions, bad crap happens, though it decreases the odds perhaps. BUT!!! he's alive, he's got his foot, it's healing as it should and the bear who came and tore apart his garbage only got garbage, not a Jonny pincho, so we're real thankful, especially to those people who went above and beyond the call (screams, actually) to get him where he is now. Poco a poco, mi hermano!

2 comments:

  1. The best fried fish I've ever had was lunch at Dingy Dock a few years ago. Can't remember what kind of fish it was, but it was the best. It was deep fried, no breading,knife cuts in the side, whole fish, head with eyes, dorsal fin and tail. When the waitress set it in front of my wife I thought uh oh this is going back to the kitchen. No way. When Debbie finished eating, the waitress said I think a cat has been at this table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! Thanks...that is what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete