Thursday, August 26, 2010

Quiet, there is thinking going on

Yesterday was one of those days, and rare they have been - rainy, grey, drizzly, damp and cold - that should be spent tucked up in bed with a cup of tea and a good book. I got the tea part down pretty well. Until late afternoon, when LaMadre came to pick me up for a time in town, a welcome release from cabin fever.

We were meeting up with Karen, a friend of Lynn's and someone I'd met on Culebra at the cart. I kept looking at her thinking, I know I've met you...infamous memory that I have was trying to strike the spark into a flame of time and place and it finally clicked.

Beyond getting together for drinks and tapas, we were also...get ready for it...networking. Yes. I, in the interest of furthering my potential, ie bank account, am looking into ways I can parlay some of my experience with writing and computers into some freelance work. Karen and Lynn both work with non-profits on a variety of fronts in a variety of ways, the personal chief among them being the one they created, Hardy Girls, Healthy Women which I mentioned before and will mention again; it's that worth shining the light on. The above photo shines the light on Karen and Lynn, along with tuna tataki, chicken poblano and some kind of lobster thing, the name of which I don't remember, the taste of which I remember right now; it was wonderful! .This jaunt was a return to the Boat House Bistro in Boothbay Harbor and Lynn had a return of the mussels, which I forgot to take a photo of again...but I did take this...

Lots of empty mussel shells...and a snowshoe

Ok, I'm not the most brilliant networker, but I do know some brilliant people who are not livng on island time, and that gives me a kick in the brain pan; a tune up, if you will, even if an overhaul is needed. There is excitement, frustration, and genuine pleasure when the long plowed acres of work bear some fruit. It may be one tree in the middle of a seemingly endless...uh oh, I'm using land analogies and bad ones at that! Well, you get the idea. They work hard, and sometimes joy comes. Some involvement in that would be a good thing.

So if you see me at the cart this fall with a pad of paper on my lap and my forehead furrowed up a bit, I'll be 'brainstorming' with all of the MJ's who live in my head, coming up with something that someone wants to pay me for on the screen. Go, mini-team!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, dear. Loss of island time? Ground control, prepare for re-entry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No loss, more an...expansion/mix/wake up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny - I read this post after I sent my emai. I can't wait to see what all of the MJs come up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, and thanks for the plug for Hardy Girls Healthy Women!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pleasure, Lynn...it's a wonderful program!

    ReplyDelete