Monday, August 9, 2010

Signs of the (Maine) times

Yesterday was one of those mixed weather days here, starting out crisp and cool and ending up warm and close. We did some bits around the house in a slow Sunday way and then headed out to a store that gets odd lots of things. All sorts of things. And some pretty... interesting... people as well. Best leave it at that, for my karma's sake, which is already skating on thin ice most of the time.

I was fairly sure I didn't need a thing but then I saw this perfect size/price rolling suitcase, which I did want, and got it. For a surprise in a great deal was an umbrella and...a garment bag. I may have to leave that along with my silk ball gowns. Sorry.

 Sign on a vehicle in Marden's parking lot

After that we headed, in a roundabout way, to the movie The Girl Who Played With Fire. If you plan on seeing this movie, I'd suggest you don't. I didn't see the first one in the trilogy, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but I've read all of the books (yes, Ann and Francie, I keep meaning to send it down and keep not) so for me, I thought the movie was terrible, and while some came out of the theater saying how fantastic it was, I couldn't fathom how anyone who hadn't read the book would have a clue as to the what and why of it. And if you had read the books, you knew how much was left out, to what would seem the viewer's confusion, but maybe not.

I personally loved the books; based on a quite complex character and I thought, played well by Noomi Rapace and definitely not American. Anyway, I wish I'd not seen the movie but I will absolutely re-read the book(s).

Sign outside the theater, which also has a...

Mexican restaurant - it wasn't open though, no margaritas for us!

The theater is this sort of hip, arty one and was showing work by a wonderful artist who incorporated wood, stone, metal, cloth, feathers and more in squares and rectangles of wood. It sounds weird but they were brilliant and I'd have taken one home in a second. Strangely, he also baked a loaf of bread, which was free to the movie patrons, set out on a rough cutting board with a rustically forged bread knife and a huge chunk of butter. The bread was as good as the art...relatively speaking. I didn't take photos because I didn't see anyone I felt was right to ask permission.

This was on the outdoor/outside wall of the theater. 
I don't know if it is the same artist or not, but I like it!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment