Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Boat builders Festival in Boothbay Harbor, Maine

Boatbuilding in Maine is a big and old tradition. If you google it, you'll come up with more responses than I care to make links to, but here are a couple of builders with old histories and beautiful boats (if you think a tugboat can be beautiful, and I do). Hodgdon Yachts, one of the oldest yards in America, builders of luxury yachts, and Washburn & Doughty, a tugboat building company destroyed by fire last year and back from the ashes through the help of the community, and now back in business,

There are many smaller yards as well, with the surrounding satellites of the industry, boatbuilding schools, magazines, clubs, etc. If you love fine boats, Maine is the place to find them.








Does a little girl who plays with seaweed (and chews on it too)

...grow up to be a chick who wears cool tools on her hip? I hope so!









Undone tug...these things are massive from the ground up

Skeleton of a tug

The propellers can each and individually be turned 360 degrees

Laurie took this...I'm adding it for scale

These old engines were amazing! No Seagulls though

I have to include this one, it's so different and beautiful


From small boats to big ones...a great day in Maine

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy cool choppers and vintage Indians, but was really more excited to see and hear about this part of the day. Wow. Steamworks, teak, wood block and tackle, and my my, the lines. BTW, that canoe may be the exact twin of one that hangs in River Winds Lodge, Ponca, AR, on the Buffalo River.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, me too. Lucky River Winds Lodge!

    ReplyDelete