Saturday, November 13, 2010

Scoopin' it together Saturday


Some little birdies told me...
Where was I? Off to the Flea Market! Score! I didn't see anyone leave without something and most people had a couple of bags full of goodies that were going home to renewed uses. Thanks to the hardworking (and it is harder than it might look, I've done it and know that's true!) women who made it so easy for us to take advantage of our shared goods for such low prices and help out the community as well.


Conveniently, the veggie guy was right there too. I had a little frisson of "Is this Friday?" when I was going by the open area where he usually sets up in - empty! But there he was, right in town, with his wonderful goods.


I had just written one of my daughters about a recipe using leeks, saying try this, I can't get leeks - but there they were, I did too have leeks! So with one more stop, dinner was taking shape in my mind.

Slow Cooked Chicken, Potatoes and Leeks
Get some leeks, potatoes, ginger and garlic Cut up the potatoes in bite size pieces, mince the ginger and garlic
Yes, that's a teabag...herbal orange...it works!
Cut away the tops and bottoms of the leeks, cut into slightly bigger than bite size pieces, they shrink!

 You did remember to get the chicken, right? Here it all is in the crock pot, with about a 1/2 cup of water and some orange juice... that's the orange tea on top of the chicken. It looks pretty, but the veggies should be on the bottom! 

Not as pretty, but crock pots like veg on the bottom
This all cooked in the crock pot about 4 hours. I finished off the chicken under the broiler to get it browned with more mouth texture. You could do this ALL in the oven if you want. Well, except the pea pods, which I forgot to mention...crunch is good!
So, that's another Free Range Friday, done on Saturday! Buen provecho!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was hoping to only talk about gorgeous weather for awhile here, and hopefully that is just what we'll have, but there is some weather 'out there' and the Coast Guard has issued a warning that I think is important to pay attention to, not just for here, but for the VI's and the big island as well. You can read it here in its entirety; the gist of it is:

The U.S. Coast Guard is urging boaters, swimmers and surfers to expect and prepare for dangerous high-surf conditions expected Friday through Monday along the northern coasts of Puerto Rico, including the islands of Vieques and Culebra, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

So keep an eye on this system below us and pay attention to the water...fun is good, good fun is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment