Friday, November 5, 2010

Free Range Friday and more

What was that weather that blew through here last night? Wind and rain and more of both, slamming around...but nothing like poor Hispaniola is getting with Tomas. We have so much to be thankful for...

As most know by now, Don Monchin passed away in the early morning hours over on the big island, where he has been in hospital for awhile now. While knowing I will miss the sight of him walking about town, leading our protests, speaking out for the rights of Culebra, I think most of what he accomplished in his life. He was a man who put his actions where his heart was, passionately and tirelessly working for his land and his people, for decade upon decade. He leaves a legacy most of us can only scratch the surface of trying to emulate, and I'm blessed to have had the experience of knowing him, even if for only a brief time of his life. His courage, fortitude, sense of honor and dignity will be a beacon for Culebra forever. Not many can know that, live that and leave that, and Don Monchin was that man. To his family and closest friends, my sympathy for your loss. As Pincho Joe told me when we lost Noel, "Don't be sad that he is gone, be glad that you got to know such a man."
*here is a link to a post and slideshow I made last year on Don Monchin, if you would like to check it out

And now, on to a lighter side of life...Free Range Friday subtitle, Fish with Chuck.

There are a few places to get fresh fish (beside catching your own) around town these days, and one of them is from Sebastian, in the same building as the Galleria gift shop. As often happens on Culebra, while we were looking for him, he showed up and soon two yellow tail were heading to the fridge.

Chuck's Fish Dinner

Get some fish!
Clean and filet it/them
Use a sharp knife!
Aren't they pretty??
No, Mr. Chuck!...oops, too late
 Now, the fun part begins. Cut your filets into bite size pieces.


Then, saute some onions and garlic in lots of butter...and get your potatoes boiling for mashed potatoes! Add some veg of your liking (we had broccoli). Once the onions are becoming soft and translucent, put in your fish, along with about a half a can of coconut milk. Salt and pepper, and a whisper of curry powder over a low heat until the fish is firming up...but not TOO firm!


Plate it up (not on a white plate because it looks like a REALLY white meal and that's why you're not going to see a plated photo here - I wasn't at home with my pretty plates...oops!) and give thanks for fish in the sea. I do! I would never have done this with fish - the curry and coconut milk were subtle  and perfect with a delicate fish such as this. And now I have a new way to enjoy fabulous, fresh fish. Thanks, Chuck!

Enjoy every minute of this life; it's a one time shot, at least as far as I know, and shouldn't be wasted.

4 comments:

  1. I love the way you write your recipes. Reminds me of Elizabeth David. I had never heard of her until a couple of years ago. While renting a house on Culebra I pulled a book out of the owners bookcase-'FRENCH CULTURE'-there was a chapter on Elizabeth David. Since then I have read her books. For me, being an avid cook, they are great. No precise measurements, just the basics. One should know what else to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you don't mind my lack of precision. I'm pretty much a 'back of the cupboards, back of the fridge' cook and somehow, it works. Chuck is much the same, as are most of the good cooks I know personally. I hadn't heard of Elizabeth David until this summer in Maine...I still have more to find out! Isn't life good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe!!! I want you to make a cookbook out of these FRF's!!! I'll buy the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never know...but if I do, you have one reserved, with an author signing!

    ReplyDelete