Saturday, June 30, 2012

Catching Up is Hard to Do


It's been busy up here in Connecticut but headway is being made. I've been enjoying the amazing natural beauty of only two places, but they hold so much, it's like traveling within walking distance. So here are some more photos to show you. I think I could become a serious birder person up here; Teresa would be so proud of me for actually identifying a bird no one around me knew the name of, even though rarity is not its middle name.

The rose-breasted grosbeak. You can read all about it here and listen to its song too!
(photo credit not available and I haven't gotten a good one yet!)
But I have gotten some others. While I haven't been hiking through the woods to find any (at this time of year it's a friggin' jungle out there and full of ticks too), they do love the bird feeders!

You can barely see the baby swallow here. Just trust me.
This is not a bird. This is some prosciutto. Maybe. We're going to scrub it off and hope it has stayed good.
They waited for me to get here for this. I'm not sure what that means but I'm glad my friends know I appreciate the strangeness and potential deliciousness.
It was hard to get a good shot - and I didn't - because it is in the basement of this
1750 house where I can almost kiss the walls, they are so amazing. I didn't though. Really.


This is just another shot of this incredible area. Collins Cove.
These ducks were all lined up. I didn't see any with a badge, so I'm assuming it was a beauty pageant. 
Annie and Ian kayaking down to the trestle bridge.


Another shot of the bell. During the tag sale, we had to put up a sign saying it was not for sale.
Though I did offer it to a pretty good looking guy for 50,000. If he could pay me in cash and run away really fast.
Such a strange and funny plant. It looks like my high school reunion.
And now, off to cool down in water. Salt water, but in a pool. With pool toys. 

Signed, 

Your half carny, half debutante, MJ

Have a saturated with satisfaction Saturday! Do something slippery.

p.s. Having just gotten the news from Kelli about Mamacita's closing August 1 because of not winning their court case, I can only try to move past the initial anger toward Jay and wonder what great things Kelli and crew will be doing next. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm trying. Hope y'all do too - an encouraging word is a lot better than wallowing in the negative. 

3 comments:

  1. A money plant!!! Seriously - google it.

    I don't know what's behind the Mamacita's thing, but I will miss it dearly. Kelli and crew ran that place so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My in laws are big birders. We give the birds here water and get puite a variety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, yes, that's it, I forgot, but I did think Miss MoneyPenny. Does that count? And as for Mamacita's? Yes. Yes.

    Mark, we have some lovelies on Culebra too. Up here, a whole different realm and yet the same with ospreys, hawks and...ok, that's all I know that is the same.

    ReplyDelete