Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Chasing the dragon...fruit

One variety of dragon fruit, the Lake Atitlan

I think one of the most beautiful fruits, and there are too many that are beautiful to say THE most beautiful, is the dragon fruit. Like all good fruits, there are a lot of varieties but we only tried one. Truthfully, it wasn't at its sweetened best, but with vodka and peach slices, somehow that didn't matter much.

Before we get to the dragon martini though, we got to Galuppi's, where my brother took me for our 'see you next time' dinner. The place has mixed reviews on tripadvisor, but our experience was nothing but excellent. With the place - and it's a big place - 3/4 full both indoors and out on the patio, we were waited on almost immediately by a super friendly guy who made sure the whole meal was a happy meal. We knew we wanted the ribs, and the bonus of two for one drinks didn't hurt. The house merlot and cab were Kendall Jackson, the ribs were perfectly cooked. It sort of felt like sitting in the early bird section somewhere in Palm Beach, but there were families with little kids and you can bring your dogs! They'll bring you a water bowl for them. With the golf course surrounding, it was easy to forget this place is in the midst of Uburbia.

Speaks for itself

The woman this dog owns told us he was a street dog in Ireland and she brought him home. She also told us much more about his digestive system than we ever wanted to know. Ever.
Our bad, we asked if they wanted the bones from the ribs. I won't do that again.
Sorry we asked, little Irie. 
Okay, back to dragon fruit. We bought this at the Asian place, New York Mart. Jonny bartended.

Yes, it really is that color.

Cut and scoop, making sure none of the skin is on it. It's bad for you. And me too.

Cut into chunks, add a slice of perfect peach, and a splash of lime juice. Add vodka. Enjoy.
And now it's time to finish up finishing up packing and stop worrying that the shuttle won't pick me up in time to get to the airport. Sure it will. What can go wrong?

Have a time to fly Tuesday! Do something from the top.

This concludes the Florida part of My Summer Vacation.

4 comments:

  1. What about Dragonfruit plain? is that any good? did you save the seeds to plant some?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it had been sweeter (or a sweeter variety - I think this one is one of the not so sweet ones) you could definitely eat it plain. I was going to save some seeds but traveling, I didn't really have time for them to dry out. I think I'll order some when I get home and can study which is supposed to be most sweet, as I only drink martinis about once every five years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give my wife all my martinis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand that but if she's happy and you're happy, I'm happy!

    ReplyDelete