Wednesday, October 3, 2012

For Chicken's Sake!

Remember those cute little baby chicks, so tiny I had to put straw mats on the floor of their little cage to be sure they wouldn't break a leg (ok, so one broke a toe. Shoot me. She's just fine, thank you very much)?


Well, they aren't so little anymore. Either the coop shrunk or they are bordering on monster chickens.


The truth is, the coop didn't shrink (Culebra is weird but not that weird) and they are about exactly the right size for their breed. But it was obvious when I got my first look at them after four months that they needed more room.

Ideally, so say the experts, there is no ideal and the experts don't agree on how much square footage each chicken needs. But if I do the math of putting together the various estimates, apparently they need your whole world, though I'm not very good at math, so that might not be exactly right. I think around 3 to 4 square foot a chicken sounds about right too. Like I'd know how to do that. The chickens won't stand still long enough for me to measure them.

In my world, they get what they get, driven by a few factors. One, what is lying around already or can be scavenged and made into more safe, protected space? Two, how much can I do myself, which is the only way it will get done? Three, figuring out one and two.

Chanticleer, who ran away from siren singing to the girls (Steve, we need to talk!)
I already had some wire net around, given to me by a friend who believed I might actually get around to this project one day. Then another friend had some more lying in a post construction trash pile, very nickable. Ask and you might receive. I did and I did.

The coop had a bit of a space under the baby chick cages, so all I needed to do was wrap it in the wire net, nail it to the existing posts (a staple gun would have been great, but I don't have a staple gun), cut a door in the old wire to give them access to it and wa la! Space gained, still safe from predators (like the wild and persistent rooster who longs for them daily, let alone dogs roaming about).

Crawling around underneath the baby chick cages would have been a very amusing video, no doubt. To you. So you'll just have to imagine it instead.

No, it's not finished. There will be a 2X4 edging at the bottom.
Soon. Really soon. Then it gets painted. *maniacal laughter here* 
One day, I'll extend the run around the front of the coop. For real.
Would Martha Stewart approve? Not as chic as the Williams Sonoma coop?

At a bit over 1000.00 bucks, my chickens would need
a chicken psychiatrist to feel at home.
Oh, and it only is big enough for three chickens.
Probably Martha would approve, because doing it my way (I paid Benny 100.00 bucks to build the coop out of all recycled material - not because I'm particularly a recycling maven, but that's what he used since that's what he had, which was fine with me, and the rest, so far, has been freebies) means I actually have chickens instead of waiting for someday when I could afford something prettier, fancier and never gonna happener.

With the last snip of the wire making the new doorway, they began to explore their new space. First one, then a few more, then the whole flock was crammed into this exciting addition, which was not exactly what I had in mind. But now they are used to it and wander back and forth, enjoying the indoor/outdoorness of it. I'm happy. They are happy (which I'm hoping translates into more eggs). Life is good.


You can buy plans for my Island Woman Culebra Homestyle Chicken Coop at fine fantasy outlets inconveniently located anywhere. At the low price of blood, sweat and tears of joy, it's a steal of a deal. Have your credit card ready and call 1 800 DIY-SOON.

I think I'm using the word exactly way too much. Which is truly ironic. I'm not sure exactly when I'll stop doing that, but be aware; I'm on to it.

Have a work your week well Wednesday. Do something with wide wonder.

3 comments:

  1. Those shrinking chicken coops have been a real problem lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Punny, you!

    Must be contagious in the islands, Mark!

    ReplyDelete