Wednesday, October 10, 2012

It's the Little Big Things

I'm not sure what is put into the laying feed I buy here on Culebra, because it comes in unmarked bags from...somewhere. All I know is, the stuff is magic. And it's hard to find. But, after many trips I finally found it at the woefully understocked ag store here, and I am thankful. The hens love it and went from one or two eggs to 4 a day now and I'm hoping for more.

Why my chickens have dirty water
It's not like they don't have lots of places to play but Queen of the Waterer is a fine, fine game. I think if this happened in offices around the water coolers, life might be more interesting.

The man who has taken over the place next door to me, a place that was rampant with wild things, cleared it off almost completely while I was away. Yes, the view is better. Yes, I get it. No, I don't like it, that naked earth. But he did save a few trees that were really trees; right now they are in fall mode, which is really more like, there's not been any real rain mode. When the rain finally comes (when, not if), I'm hoping for more green, but in the meantime? I'm grateful for the trees.


I saw a pretty funny thing online the other day. JetBlue is having a contest in which the winner can choose to leave the country free if his or her presidential candidate loses in November. Of course, you can come back if you like. I'd love to have statistics of how many people of either party will actually follow through on their promise to leave the country if the 'other' guy wins. But there you go, an unbiased chance to hit another island and/or another life if at the end of the day, you are rending your clothing due to the election. Plus, I really, really, really like JetBlue. You can tell them I said so.

Have a weighty Wednesday! Do something without whispering.



2 comments:

  1. 4 eggs a day. Wow! I'm pre-ordering 2 dozen for 3/8/13. I'm gonna make fresh(!) mayonaise,yum, hollandaise sauce and other egg things. Btw, I'm forwarding Margaret & Helen's blog to a rabid democrat friend of mine. We love it and she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully we'll be able to fill that order! I'm betting your friend will be so glad to 'meet' Margaret and Helen. I think I even know a few of the Elephant tribe who would enjoy them ;)

    ReplyDelete