Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Interesting, This Internet Thing

I think I've mentioned, maybe one or two dozen times, how much I despise our local and only landline phone system choice, Claro, owned by one of the world's wealthiest men who, I am beyond certain, obviously uses another company for his phone. So I finally, after nine years,  cut the cord and went another way. Another way that has a bit more speed than dial up, but not the fast whiz bang of Claro when everything was going well (back when it was PRTC, Puerto Rico Telephone Company), which, as time went on, wasn't often enough. 


The upshot is that yesterday, trying to upload a video for this blog about five times and failing and then trying to upload the photos you are seeing now and failing, I realized what my choice really meant, and means, for my future online. Lack of predictability and sometimes,  ability itself, to post my little missives into the ether: a : the rarefied element formerly believed to fill the  upper regions of space. b : the upper regions of space : heavens - Merriam-Webster dictionary.
I'm not sure what 'formally believed' means. Maybe it's a Prince thing?

So there it is, the consequences of choice. It has set me to thinking about when I first moved to St. Croix. There was barely any internet, but I'd come along in the early days, the days before www anything (much to the annoyance of my family and friends who got busy signals for hours - dedicated lines? What was that?). 



Asking around got me to the beautiful but not so well stocked library (but they had computers!!) where I used what was quaintly and truly called Freenet (I was going to give you a link to Freenet, but it is not what it used to be - still pretty damned interesting now, if you like to find out about that sort of thing). No graphics, no colors, just text. Then I signed up with AT&T, at a rate that would drive a middle income family of four into financial ruin within six months. I justified it because I managed a small hotel and it was about business. Mixed with pleasure, but business. 

We had one of only two web sites on St. Croix at the time - really - and the owners had no idea how to even access it, let alone use it. George's nephew had created the page for the hotel as a school project and as far as George was concerned, and I fairly accurately quote, "I'll learn to use that fucking  computer when my goddamned body is cold. I have better things to do." And he did, until a few years later, when he realized the hotel was getting 50% more bookings and more importantly, he could find antiques online. Another story for another day. Maybe.



Finally a guy started an internet company that was in line with stateside qualities and we were jet propelled into the 20th century, computer wise. Twenty years behind the states, we caught up fast and furiously and if I'd been a smart person, I'd have taken my knowledge and become a web page developer. But no one has ever accused me of using my brain in any way influenced by financial motivation and I didn't do that. Look up St. Croix now...

I've often wondered about life without the internet. No ability to call up, in seconds, what that flower/fish/cloud/food/solution to a problem medical/mental/spiritual or only curiosity driven information and answers . No instant connection to far flung family and friends. I mean, I spent the first half a lot of my life without it. I've traveled and sailed and been without it. But to do without it now? Completely? Hmmm.


So, instead, a slow connection. Big deal! I can live with that. And I hope you won't mind living with it as well. I can't be sure that whatever dribble I want to churn out won't turn to butter instead of cream (do you know how to make butter? there are lots of ways, but this way involves dancing, so now you'll know). Point being, my stream of consciousness style might be muddy waters and I'm choosing to live with that.


And now you know the rest of the story!


Have a take your wildest pick Tuesday/Wednesday! Do something totally without worry (in the long run, you'll know when you've done it right).

No comments:

Post a Comment