Tuesday, February 3, 2009

How 'bout that Bruce?

Following a long held tradition, my friend Linda and I went to Dinghy Dock for Super Bowl this past Sunday. We don't really care at all about football, but we do love the commercials and usually whoever is doing half-time (usually). Plus, Neil just makes it a very fun party, with raffles and good food and his own pretty spectacular personality. In six years, I've never had less than a great time and this year was the same. AND, I won a Dinghy Dock tee shirt!
I didn't bring my camera, on purpose, which of course I now semi-regret. But as I am usually taking photos, it is easy to become a bit more of an observer than I want to be. So next year I'll bring you all with me to Super Bowl at Dinghy Dock visually.

Today is/will be about my yard, which I never get tired of playing in (though I could use a swing set). Hint photo above. Right now there is a horse tied in my yard. I have no idea who it belongs to, but I re-filled its knocked over bucket of water and he seemed glad, slurping away as the hose blasted in water. I wonder if he'll still be here when I get home?

But, because my brother is my best friend and he keeps on about me doing something on my tiny spaces, I'll start with this and finish up later today with the yard. This is what a tiny kitchen looks like after bottling hot sauce, waxing bottle tops and baking muffins, all at the same time, which I usually don't do but this just sort of happened...as things do around here. Is this what you had in mind, bro?



Part Dos

I'm so excited!!! Our resident computer guru came by and figured out how to make me wireless. I had the fast bit but not wireless (or I didn't know I had it) and so now I'm typing this from out in the gazebo, my real living room. Very thrilling. I could actually watch a movie laying in the hammock...(oh, it's the little things).

So it seems quite appropriate that the finish of today's post would be about the yard. The yard, as mentioned, is usually my living room. It can also be my dining room and occasionally my sleeping porch. All of this takes place under the rather more grandly named than it looks gazebo. It's yet another of the projects not quite into the complete gel stage, but it works fine for all of that.



Of course, it will also soon be my barnyard, as sort of kind of maybe promised today. Finishing things on Culebra is sort of like chasing after the Golden Fleece. Lots of interesting events happen along the way, but to actually get to the end of the course is quite another thing. Rather like the other gazebo structure that I decided today would become a greenhouse and outdoor kitchen in due time, rather than the living area/guest space I was originally going for. After checking out a friend's plants I'm anxious to spread out and why not do it there where the sun is brightly shining? There is nothing like seeing your own and others gardens producing crops to make a gardener's fingers itch for more. Like gambling, raising children or farming, it's all a risk, but oh when it turns out well, what good fun! And if it doesn't you can just try again...well, not especially advised with children, though I've wished for a possible re-do more than once or twice.

I think tomorrow the cart will be closed while very noisy big machines work too close by for my aural sanity. I can be home making hot sauce, which I need to do desperately (along with an experimental baking session trying out a recipe for guava bars), so everything works out. I can also be playing in the yard...and blogging at the same time...or not. If there is a man in my yard with semi-noisy machines finishing the chicken coop, I'll be inside. Oh please!!! Come make a joyful noise!

A hummingbird quivers a foot away from me while water sounds slip and slap gently against dock and boats. No doubt if I left this computer on the table for long, a lizard would come and baptize it, as the horse, who is still tied in the front yard, so helpfully did. While the front yard (which is really, to me, the back yard) isn't a place I spend much time, the horse seems happy. Now, if I could just get him to move the fertilizer...


Last minute addition, because I never know what I'm going to find in my yard (these two showed up with the daughter of the guy who owns the horse) ...but I think you ought to know some of my fertilizer options...aren't they pretty? I want some!






5 comments:

  1. Those goats would be my friends if I sang to them and acted out plays LOL Thank you for letting me see a little bit of your island life, MJ. I enjoy your musings, even if I don't always comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoy...and comments are always just a nice surprise (so far anyway!), no worries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH-HA! I finally made this work, Anyway, great shot of the kitchen, need more like that! A few tight anonymous shots of doors and windows! Noticed a familiar pepper plant grown from seed!! I have some more weird ones I found on ebay to send ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy! Can't wait to get the new seeds! We'll see about doors & windows...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wireless?!?!? How awesome! If I use the computer while I'm there, I love nothing more than doing so on the porch with the view. It took us some time to get ours set up so that we could get a signal out there, but what heaven when we did!

    ReplyDelete