Thursday, February 19, 2009

Treat of the day and some other cart stuff

The Treat of the Day is going well! A few people come up daily, asking what the treat of the day is and then buy it - how crazy is that? I thought I would get this charming cake plate but holy nostalgia! I went online and they are now collectibles - I feel rather ancient at those moments; excuse me but when did a Tupperware cake carrier become a collectible??? - and the glass ones, which I was lusting after, are ridiculously expensive. SOOOOOOOO. Can we say Sterlite to the rescue? It was cheap, it's handy, it works and apparently no one really gives a flying flip what the treat is stored in. However, they might be glad to know I've bought small tongs for lifting their treat out, rather than Digitally by MJ.

My very favorite customers this week (sorry, the other faithful but hey...what can I say, so I won't) are two little girls visiting here with their parents. Actually, I think the girls made all of the arrangements. Every time they see me they call out, HEY ISLAND WOMAN!!! If I'm in the store, they say, OH!!! It's ISLAND WOMAN!!! and then the little one, Lucy, grins as fiercely as a lion. It makes me feel quite magical and giddy.

Her sister Lola lost a tooth this week and to all of our mutual delight, the tooth fairy found her on Culebra. She's now working hard on the other front tooth (Lola, not the tooth fairy); "I like it when I can twist it around!!!" Yikes. I had forgotten that part of Mama'ing. Anyway, they love muffins. They are not wild about guava bars, which I knew before they told me. So tomorrow, in their honor, the treat of the day will be their fovorite muffin, ginger carrot. Yeah, go figure!

Favorite comment of a steady local customer: "I'll take two of the guava bars...I don't really LIKE guava, so I take that out because I really like the rest of it." Damn!

I'm tossing in the cement blob in front of the cart. I thought it was sort of the cow pie of cement blobs, the Friday let's get out of town and what do we do with this last bit of cement blob. But no...apparently, it was a giftie. A couple of the guys have driven by and rolled down their very dark windows to grin and wave while pointing to the blob. It does take away the lake that formed in front of the cart that I had to sweep out every time it rained, so while it ain't purty, it works. So....thanks, guys!

3 comments:

  1. You are looking so sweet with the girls :) And yeah, those twisty teeth are the BEST! LOL I think your writing is also the "treat of the day" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those girls...just thinking about them makes me laugh, they are the BEST! They asked the best questions, alive alive-o!!

    Awwwww...I love you too, Miss Pollyanna (now, go find my kid and get her a job!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell her to contact me. pollyanna at hevanet dot com. Of course, there are not jobs, but I can check on her for you when you need :)

    ReplyDelete