Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Real Saturday post

Something not put in yesterdays post:
A few of us went to the beach to snorkel and I was REALLY going to go in...but I didn't. Too cold for me. Four other people didn't agree and saw lots of neat and beautiful things while I tremendously enjoyed myself on the beach with the dog brought along and taking photos. This pelican went by and I was lucky enough to have the camera close by and ready.








While not a white sand beach like Flamenco and some others, there is a more wild sort of beauty here that I enjoy.





What a great day today has been! I got to open the cart, hooray! All the big machines are gone for the weekend. There were two nasty loud dump trucks that went back and forth but that is something else and just an occasional disturbance. A very good day business wise along with getting to meet some great visitors.

Home to the garden and I thought, to bake some muffins. I got a call reminding me about the Animal Auction and I agreed to go, as I have every year, but hadn't quite decided yet on this year for absolutely no reason but I wanted to bake muffins! I finished up the garden chores and headed for the shower, which, as every gardener knows, is so delicious after getting sweaty filthy doing something you love (hush now).

So there I was...pumicing those little rough areas on my feet when I looked down to see a rather huge tarantula in the corner of the door and the wall. I think I tried to climb over the wall but that not working I grabbed the mop (which the universe had me put where I never put it!) and stabbed it. Then I ran. Just thinking about it makes me shudder. Luckily, I knew a cocktail was in my immediate future. I knew my brother would insist on a photo (and he did), so here it is. Sorry.


Every year there is an auction to raise money for the animals...or more, the people who take care of dealing with our street animals. Adoptions, vet bills, transport to the states...it's pretty involved and a lot of hard work for a generally thankless job in many respects. But for those who get a new friend in their lives, it's priceless.

Items auctioned run from art done by some of our quite brilliant local artists to meals at local restaurants to stays at some of the nicer hotels on the big island, plus lots of little odds and ends. This year for the first time the auction was held at Mamacita's. There were some glitches, but I'm sure next year they will be worked out, because obviously a good time was had by all. And the animals, along with Marsha, Jill, Mary, Terri, Teresa and quite a few others who work so hard for such a good cause say....Gracias!!!

And now, off to dinner with friends. Happy Saturday evening! Don't forget to check out the moon...it's looking pretty glorious right now.

2 comments:

  1. MJ, that's the best pelican photo I have seen.
    Perhaps a reminder to your readers to "click on photo to see enlarged version".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's the best I've ever taken, that's for sure! And thanks for the reminder...

    ReplyDelete