Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I love this day

Today started early, after the waking up/watering garden bits. I went to town to check on the progress of the road crew and it was as I'd thought, they rounded the corner and I would not be opening. But there were plenty of errands to run. Unfortunately, I was at least 30 minutes away from any of them happening. So I had a coffee at Dinghy Dock and turned in my tee shirt request. When that was done, I headed to the gas station to ask if any of the local honey was in, because that is where one used to pick up local honey...don't ask me why, ok? But I was directed to a house up the road instead, which I put on my list for 'heading back home'.

I wanted to laminate my Last Virgin Baked Goods sign that Bets convinced me I needed to make (and gave me her nod of approval, so I know it's okay), but Nadine wasn't in yet. Excetera has a couple of chairs on the porch so I sat down and did what anyone does without a book...decided to clean out my wallet. Soon Nadine was laminating away. One errand DONE. I got a few others done and headed out, intent on finding the honey guy. A friend of mine stopped and asked if I wanted a ride and I said, thanks no, I need to find the honey guy, and she said (this is SOOOOOO Culebra), I'm looking for the honey guy too, do you know where he is? Well, yes I did! And, she's fluent in Spanish, so it was serendipity. Except, there was no honey (meil) yet. The woman took our phone numbers and asked if I spoke Spanish. I said, just say Meil, I 'll knowl

I got home and got busy in the gardens, spaced out on blooms, transplanting, joy. The phone rings and a woman says, Meil...and I think, Christ, another wrong number, who the hell is Meil? and then the penny dropped. I asked how much and headed out. By the time I got there, two people had stopped me and asked if I'd pick up some for them too, but she only had two bottles. She'll call me tomorrow about more. Maybe this time I'll catch it the first listening.

After a walk to Genesis for oatmeal (it's supposed to be rolled oats but...this is Culebra, so it was quick oats, and yes, I tried all three stores, so hush) I decided it was cool enough to start making the guava cream cheese bars. They are kind of fun to make, using guava paste. My father, living for years in Havana with his family, used to make us a simple Cuban dessert using guava paste, cream cheese and a cracker whose name is eluding me right now (you can tell me, I know someone knows), but its sort of bowl shaped and rather bland, but perfect for guava paste and cream cheese. I'd not used guava paste for anything else. As soon as they cool, I'll taste and see if they are something I want to sell. Since I doubt the cart will be open tomorrow and I don't like selling something not seriously fresh, if they are any good I'll take them to some friends and let them give me opinions. Everybody's happy.

Benny didn't make it by to finish the chicken coop, which I wasn't really expecting anyway...so here it sits, with the new wire waiting. I was chasing chickens out of my garden this afternoon when I heard my landlord, who'd come in the yard to fool with his boat, call out, 'Put them in a cage!' It was a mama and babies and he was right, it would have been perfect...alas.


New orchid blooms

Herbs going into flower power

First hot pepper off of my friend (from Florida) Chris's seeds...yippee!!!! It's about a baby fingernail long.

Life is weird here, and I like it.

2 comments:

  1. They are called "Cuban Crackers" Tell me about these bars, they sound good!Merri has started another side job (she is now qualified to be an illegal alien) She is selling baked good at the hospital and to private functions under the name
    "Very Merri Desserts" so, its a good thing for when we all lose our jobs..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, duh, Cuban crackers, that was easy, and I knew it would be you to remind me! Flour, sugar, butter, etc. then a layer of guava paste (cut it in strips), then cream cheese or queso blanco (the only reason I can ever imagine using that cheese, which reminds me of how an eraser might taste), then more batter on top. Even people who don't like guava (Greg, Jack, Mike) liked them lots.
    Smart Merri. Great minds and all that...(very merri, last virgin...therein lies the difference)

    ReplyDelete