Sunday, February 8, 2009

Rain & Sunday

After closing up the cart to avoid the oncoming rain, home & a few chores were calling my name. But it was more fun to listen to the rain, and then listen to this really nicely purring engine...I thought it was a friend of mine with a great engine...and while it wasn't the friend I thought, it was a friend with a great engine...my engine which she borrows when needed, on her dinghy. What a happy little trooper it is; old, simple, reliable. Hmm.


I don't know why Sunday is my favorite day. Maybe there is a mix of childhood, my Dad taking us to the beach, or older, in bed with the newspapers and a loved one and then children rumpled in along with tea or coffee. There is, for me, an implied sense of 'do nothing that you don't enjoy' imbued in the very idea of Sunday..even the word itself, in English, seems sssilky.

So when it rains on a Sunday, it is, naturally, a better rain. A curl up and read rain or a cook something yummy rain, because it's Sunday and there is nothing else to do, a good thing. Even if, as can be the case in our lives, there are items that remain unticked on our lists for what should be done before Monday. So what? Oh, you might tut, easy for you to say, no little ones clamoring for milk money or crushing deadlines testing your health parameters. And I say, yes, too true. Enjoyed that then (I didn't do the crushing deadline part, not my forte), enjoy this now. Doesn't it all sound too perfect? Of course it is! But on Sunday, this is allowed, so roll with it, with me.

Here is a list I made that is Sunday long:

1. Someone to feed the cat - done.

2. Someone to water the yard - not done (rain is good, rain is good, chant for rain)

3. Pack some clothes & other bits and pieces...ok, good idea - I'll get right on that.

4. Call Al the pilot and make sure he's coming to get us. Very good idea! Done!

The only thing good about lists is when they are finished you can feel this sense of high purpose being accomplished, even if the items on the list aren't crossed out. I think just making a list counts big in life points. I'd say it makes me close to a grown up except that I remember making lists for Santa. Better lists too.

Here is what I did while I was not making a list:

Wandered the yard between rain showers, mesmerized by growing things...look, Ma! Them's 'maters, all right!

Peppers-O-Rama!!!

Watched Greg prove that you really don't need any wind to sail a Wind Rider

Stared at my getting-closer-to-done chicken coop like a steely glare could make it be finished (it didn't, but don't tell my children, it worked with them)

Noticed this bird nest while staring at the chicken coop...either a hummingbird or banana quit nest...whatever was quivering inside was keeping its head down...is it spring already? Amazing something so ridiculously fragile can hold a complete new world

Yes, I'm easily entertained; a good thing. But it is dark now and no excuses linger to avoid packing (which will take about 7 minutes). I'll come back with St. Croix pictures and stories and hopefully a few more things. You local readers, keep an eye on my cart for me with the big bad machines around! If anything is weird, tell Kim, she has instructions...shhhhh! Oh, which reminds me. Message central here, just like the cart, sheesh! Jesse, Laurie wants you to see this and we don't know your email address. Message delivered. See you Friday. May I go now?

3 comments:

  1. Have fun...Coops is looking good, I suggest at least 2 guinea hens, just ASK me why...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want some of them 'maters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks oh message goddess.

    ReplyDelete