Thursday, November 5, 2009

What do you want first? The good news or the bad news?

Let's go with the bad news first and end on a good note, shall we? This is the latest on the threat to go ahead with the open permit policy with little or no planning. Fortuno is determined, in my opinion, to sell Puerto Rico to the highest bidder and trust me, they are out there, salivating. I'm trying not to get crazed about these things again and doing pretty well, I must say, since I've suspended my *all news all the time* indulgence and indulged in my yard, books and being on the water more. However...some things bear watching and this is one of them.

The good news is that the gym has been open since Monday! It is now under the directorship of Robert Ayala. Robert is a big man with big plans for expanding and upgrading the gym, while keeping the price the same. FREE! Robert asked me to spread the word, and I'm glad to do so.

Robert Ayala "Come on in, welcome!"

He took me to a little building next to the gym that is now being used for storage and explained how all the broken/belongs to someone else/unusable junk in there will be moved out. Rubber gym flooring will be installed, as well as overhead fans and mirrors. The purpose of this room will be twofold. One, it will be the space for aerobics (I can barely spell that, no wonder I can't do 'em), tae kwan do, yoga and other classes. He feels it will give the women more privacy for their classes and he is right. There will be classes for children to the elderly, leaving no one out. I'm sure Mom's could get baby classes going if they wanted.

The space that opens up in the gym proper (once all the aerobic equipment is moved) will be given over to more machines, which Robert tells me he is looking for and pricing right now.



He also wants to get a couple of televisions in there so that those using the stationary bikes and treadmill have something to look at beside the wall - or the back of my eyelids, in my case.

Robert lived here 30 years and then moved away to persue other ventures. He's back now and was offered this position (and the funding to back it up) by the mayor. I am delighted with his enthusiasm and plans and hope all will be supportive, whether you personally use the gym or not. If you do, or you have been thinking about it, now is the time. I don't know of any place that offers even what we have for the price of walking in the door. So c'mon in and get to work on the bod you want to be walking around in for 2010! You'll feel better, really.

Hours: Monday - Thursday 7 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. (yes...that late!) Friday - 7 a.m. until afternoon - my bad, I forget the exact time but it will be more like 4 I think?

Location - in case you don't know where the gym is, it's right behind El Batey and the new basketball court

A couple of suggestions -

Bring a towel to wipe your sweat off the machines. There is a can of Lysol spray disinfectant available....use it. I don't know about you, but even if you are my dearest friend, I'd rather not get that close to your sweat. I'd bet you feel the same about me!


Bring some bug spray. The mozzies can get fierce in there.

There is a water cooler and hopefully it will be kept filled more often, with cups available, but just in case, you might want to bring some water along.

Did you know there are showers at the gym? A sauna too? Yes, there are! So you can bring a change of clothes and clean up before heading to...where ever you are heading to. Bring what you need as there is no soap or towels on offer. Yet (yes, I have some rather big ideas myself - and I'm sure Robert is open to suggestions as well). You also may want flip flops for the showers. Just a thought.

Happy exercising!


No comments:

Post a Comment