Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Blowing Things Up and Eating Well

Serendipity. My favorite word and yesterday was full of events that let me use it. My company, pretty sick most of the time here on Culebra (it wasn't us! he was sick before he got here, really), was finally feeling up to a good beach walk. Since Flamenco was closed for a detonation, a big one that could be heard over a lot of the island, we chose Tamarindo.

The tide was high but it's still a good walk and hopefully a swim would be on the event page as well. Then, Serendipity raised her head. Ahead of us we saw three guys heading to the point and after talking with Lorraine, who had her dogs there, we realized they were bomb squad guys. Finally at the point itself, there they were, setting up for one more detonation of ordinance, a smaller one. Of course we got to talking and one guy said I could press the buttons if I wanted to. Of course I wanted to! Of course, I also wanted to move the site of the detonation, but that wasn't going to happen...

Island Flyer, doing a quick turnaround. Oops.
After a wait to make sure everyone was where they should be, and others weren't where they shouldn't be, after three call outs of "Fire in the hole!" I pressed the buttons. And nothing happened. Apparently I didn't press hard enough, but the second time rewarded us with a nice loud BOOM! and then smoke came up and then I was told that if someone flubs the first time, they owe the crew a case of beer. I suddenly didn't understand English. It happens.
Great guys, great fun. Just your typical walk on the beach...

 The yellow boom box

Waiting for the go signal
 Bravely steadying the box...somehow it felt like it could blow up too

 First attempt (how embarrassing!)

 Ok, I'll get it right this time!

 Success! If this were video, here's where you'd hear the boom!

 And there's the proof!

 Thanks, guys! They all leave today, and we don't know if or when they will be back. 
You may come back to the beach now...

Blowing things up is tough work. We decided it must be lunch time and since we'd not hit El Batey, a burger sounded like a good idea. But wow!  Two weeks ago Tomas and crew put in a food bar! There were ribs and pork loin stuffed with plantains and rice and garbanzos and more. Forget the burger this time (thanks, Liz, for pointing us in the right direction).


I had the ribs with salad and plantain, Chuck had the stuffed pork loin with some sides. The servings were extremely generous, the food perfectly prepared and the price more than fair at 8 $ a plate. Good work, El Batey crew!





Amazingly, later that night, we were hungry and hit Zaco's Taco's, where there were excellent mojitos to pass some time while waiting for to-go battered fish and seared tuna tacos. No photos because - I was tired and forgot them. Next time! I can say, we cleaned our plates. Totally. I didn't quite lick the little guacamole container, but close enough. And from one hot sauce maker to another, Zach, yours rock!

And now, back to my unregularly scheduled Culebra life. With company heading out, with one of Don Jose Perez's wonderful sailboats in hand (the ferry showed up and on time!) the cat thinks everything is calm and bright. But it's up to Housesitting Hill for the next little while, so her schedule will still be flukey and the guilt treats aren't going to improve her figure, but we don't care.

Life is good. Let the games continue, with Serendipity calling the shots.

Have a wonder full Wednesday! Do something wide-eyed.

4 comments:

  1. I doubt I'll get to do anything as wide eyed as blowing something up! Lucky Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never know, that's the fun of waking up in the morning! And yes, I am a Lucky Girl, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not going to admit to any felonies here, but for a peacenik pinko, I have a stout appetite for explosives with which to celebrate Independence Day (and New Years and...).

    Serendipity is the theme of every visit to Culebra. That dark eyed thrasher at ZBH, finding the coconut water guy, stopping for hot sauce. The hits never stop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, peace and love sometimes like booms!

    Laughing about that thrasher; you say serendipity, I say noisy cat food stealing mess making pain in the tree! No doubt you have more of the wonderful S word ahead!

    ReplyDelete