Friday, March 23, 2012

Culebra Free Range Friday or If April Showers Bring May Flowers, And Climate Change is Changing, Then What?

What I mean is, now, with the climate upside down all over the world, I have to wait for someone clever to make up a March/April rhyme about showers and flowers. Because I briefly tried and, though the first cup of tea isn't quite finished, I'm usually pretty good at this sort of mindless entertainment and come up with crap nothing. March makes a much better word for talking about a physical action than incorporating into any sort of month inspired doggerel poetry. It is definitely one of those onomatopoeic words, sounding like its one meaning (that one syllable, that harsh'ch' ending). I almost sit up straighter just thinking about it and wonder where my parade flag is (and yes, I do think about things like this, more than I'd care to admit but probably less than you, patient reader, imagine. Or not).


Our currently grey and rainy weather is what brought this on, obviously. Rain hasn't been much around here lately and especially not a day long into night into next day pattern. Everything in the yard looks so happy, I just cannot complain (except for some people I know who have stolen time to be here and are not quite getting the sun anticipated) or quit walking around looking at each new bud of growth.


The rain is barely a patter on the roof right now. Soft soft. The cat is fed and back to curled up, the chicks are still eating - eating machines they are! - and I'm on cup of tea two. While I should be almost ready to sell bread today, due to a propane problem, I'm deferring until Sunday and, looking at the radar, relieved that I won't have to be soggy this morning.


Rain will not, I'm sure, stop the veggie guy. If he has any of the purple potatoes, pick up a few! I had some the other night, simple fix of sliced, along with some (veggie guy) shallots, also sliced, in a tiny bit of bacon fat from the precious reserves. It was sort of a glorified hash browns thing, by ingredients if not by cooking method. Saute until potatoes are done, salt and pepper to taste and call it delicious. The potatoes do have a different taste, if anything they seem to have an almost sweet aspect. Or maybe that was the shallots. I only know for a taste treat, it was really good, along with the beauty of the potato. I mean, look at that, it's Art!

Yes, Francie, this is for you.
The early grey sky is getting lighter. The radar looks like there might be clearing ahead. Who knows, it might turn out to be another beautiful day in Paradox after all!


Have a full of Expectations Friday! Do something freewheeling.

7 comments:

  1. If April showers bring May Flowers, what do Mayflowers bring?

    Pilgrims!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And all sorts of trouble with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in New England it is "April Showers MAY bring flowers" I miss Culebra's flora and fauna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love spring rains and purple potatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, Debbie and Lewis's Poem

    March showers
    Trim beach hours.

    The end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that twist of a phrase! Yes, our flora and fauna is wondrous, but I know places in New England that have taken my breath away for sheer beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Polly, better than spring snow for sure! Doug, good one. BUT they did get some sunshine in yesterday.

    ReplyDelete