Thursday, March 22, 2012

It's All Happening At the Zoo

Culebra time can be a lot of things, but sometimes it feels like the universe is just having a great chuckle, in a good way. Yesterday, Bonilla came to work on my dinghy, something I've been waiting for, for almost two years. Not him working on it, just others saying they would who didn't, until Bonilla. I think I've mentioned money isn't always much of a motivator on Culebra? Try having five guys, all of whom, at one time or another, agreed to do the job, sitting at Dinghy Dock, en masse, discussing the really best way to complete the job. Imagine me, not too loudly howling, "I don't CARE, just somebody DO something!" But yesterday the work got started. The materials are bought and I bet one of these days, I'll have an 'after' photo, with my awesome Tortola dinghy back in the water. Ok. I won't bet $.

'Before'
Another thing I've been waiting on (with the delay no one's fault but my own, for various reasons) finally happened yesterday. Not quite how I expected, but sometimes - maybe a lot more than some times - you just have to say yes to the 'not quite' to get to where you want to go. And so it is with these baby Rhode Island Reds (yes, they aren't too red, are they? but hopefully they will grow into SOME sort of chicken that lays large brown eggs, the mama was red at least...); they won't always be babies. I'm crooning egg laying songs to them already. Thank you, Dee!

Eight fast moving happy chicks - the concrete block is for two things, one,
chickens like to be 'up' and two, it gives them something to peck at and keep their beaks happy.
I'm sure there is some fancy bought thing for this, but a quarter of a concrete block works!


There is a cover that goes over this feeder but they couldn't quite get to it.
Much more fun to just jump into your plate of food, right?
I know why the caged chick peeps
Before it got dark, I started thinking it still is getting pretty cool at night and it was pretty windy too, so I took an old towel and put it in the corner, thinking they could bunch up and stay warm. This morning I went out to feed them and...worst fear realized, NO chicks. Not one. No peep peeping. I lift up the towel and there they all were; they'd crept inside, just like they would under their mother's wing. Startled but not frightened, they reeled around in the sudden movement and light like a bunch of tiny drunks for a second or two, so I put out food and water and put the towel back over them, my heartbeat back to normal again and grin firmly in place. Being a chicken farmer is going to be interesting.

A new season is upon my life, right in time for Spring. Chickens and boats. Makes sense to me!

Have a take it as it tumbles Thursday. Do something non-troubling.

2 comments:

  1. Yay fresh eggs! Put me down for a dozen. I'll pick them up Saturday am 3/9/13. Have a great year.

    ReplyDelete