Friday, May 25, 2012

Culebra Free Range (Foodless) Friday

While I have been up the hill, we had a blessed event next door that I only realized this morning. Remember that big, sturdy, but rather fat horse of whom I've taken lots of photos? That wasn't fat.

Mama and baby were, for a moment, alarmed when I came around the hillside. I was pretty surprised myself.
No, it wasnt fat, or extreme sturdiness. It was this darling one.
She or he (I didn't check and can't quite tell from this photo) starting heading over to me,
but then ran, in that giggly coltish way that seems to barely touch earth, back to Mama.
Where a snack and safety were waiting.
 It was that time of morning where the sun, barely past the horizon, was blazing off of everything, making the world sharp and still golden at the same time. 

Gumbo limbo, junk trees and mangroves in the sun
Chanticleer and his court don't care about new baby horses or how the sun sparkles on the water. Their life mission is food, sex, babies, repeat. Excepting his mission of prideful crowing and strutting, and I must admit, he does them both very well.

In full voice. 
The ladies and children heed and obey. As they will, until a worthy challenger comes along.
I'm off to spend some time playing with a new toy. After years of just saying no, I've finally chosen to join the world of real (versus way too expensive throwaway type) cell phone users. Having put down requirements quite a few years back - that it would do everything I wanted it to do - allow me to be connected to my computer, for a biggie - and be less expensive than my land line, they've been met now, and so far beyond. With Claro becoming the telephone company from hell, I was nudged over the edge. Ok, more like I bodily threw myself over the edge and am waving Claro a one fingered farewell. 

Just so you know? You really CAN buy used phones on  ebay that are exactly as described (in this case, 'mint condition and works perfectly'), for less than half the price of a new one. That's what I did.
Of course, make sure there is a return policy available and that your seller has a good reputation.
Thanks to Computer/Balloon John, who took over from my fumbling attempts to set it up, I now am almost functional to get and make calls, and a bit more (which just reminded me I forgot to ask about voicemail...oops). 

He rapidly ran over the pages he'd set up for me; the phone, the camera, email, different web applications including two for weather; music, scanning bar codes and texts for further research, and others that get me out of trouble if I screw up, which I shall, no doubt. But the best one, the one I have to say makes me eat my 'I won't need a bunch of apps' words, is the metal detector. Yes. A metal detector on my phone. I have always wanted a metal detector (I know, I'm such a nerd, sorry to down all your 'she's cool' visions, I've tried to tell you!), especially growing up on the beaches of Florida where I bet fortunes have been made metal detecting. Well, I'm not looking to make a fortune (there is no lie detector on the phone, thankfully), but it would be fun to find something interesting. I'll let you know when I make my big score. Of course I will. As long as none of you are involved with the IRS. Now, what's my number?

No food today, sorry! I was busy eating technology.

Have a find something new in your world Friday! Do something that moves you forward.

Update: I figured out voicemail! Some woman lives in my phone and walked me right through it! Thanks, chica!

2 comments: