Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Pass the Catchup, Please


I was so into sharing those pages with you yesterday that I forgot what I was going to post, which was about growing things around here. Not a lot, just two. Or maybe nine, but...wait, it's just easier to put up the photos.


Yesterday I was checking on the bananas (now that I've noticed them, born full zoom like Athena out of Zeus' head) and yet more petals had pulled back, revealing bitty baby 'naners. Not only are bananas just one of Nature's perfectly designed foods, they also grow really wonderfully, mysteriously and fast! Um...once they actually start growing. After two years.



The chickens are also growing fast now. Suddenly they have gone from little fuzz balls to...well, chickens. They still don't have all of their parts and pieces, but there are little bits poking out showing where they will be. In the meantime their heads look sort of naked, but their feathers are getting right purty. And I now have a chicken feeder for when I go off island later this summer for a few months, so they better get to the egg laying stage toot sweet (yes, I know, it's actually tout de suite, but I'm an American, damn it and I only know one language and mis-spell the rest because this great country forgot to educate me properly), because that is the reward the chicken feeder is going to get.

Last evening was the Tuesday jam at the Library. I'd been meaning to go and kept forgetting but luckily I got there last night, as Ryan, the boat living conga player guy (and family) is going to be reincarnated as Ryan (and family), dirt dweller and school guy. The fun part is they are going to Portland, OR and I'll get to visit them when I'm out there seeing my daughter Sarah.


Ryan has sold his drum to Doug (aka The Other Doug), who has this pretty wild contraption already going on. I'm not sure if the new drum will be on its own or wired into the whatever he calls it. I forgot to ask about the jar of basil on there...next time. Is a jar still a jar if it's plastic?


Which was just a segue into today's last written offering, a cool thing called a reCAP for mason jars. I saw something about this for a fleeting moment awhile back and totally lost the reference, so I was really glad to read about it (and a lot more, but you can do that yourself) on a new blog I've been following called The Art of Doing Stuff written by this pretty quirky chick on all sorts of subjects. I came across her because I was doing some chicken research. Go figure.

Anyway, today's post was about the Kickstarter project and specifically about reCAPs. You can read all about them here. There is a contest on TADS to win one, so of course I entered, because truthfully, I am always looking for the perfect drink container. Every one I've ever had leaks, makes me dribble (MAKES me, yes) and just generally fall apart, leaving me with a mess either on me or in the bag I brought it along in.

I almost thought I'd re-found the perfect one when I saw Neal using his sippy cup, but really, sippy cups, as awesome as they are, are pretty small. And they leak if you tippy your sippy. So, back to this thing. Plus, mason jars are just cool. Of course, you cannot BUY mason jars on Culebra, so if I win this (and if I don't I'm buying one anyway), I'll have to go buy a dozen jars so I can have one big girl non-leaking sippy cup. Which is fine...I can figure out how to use eleven mason jars, easy!


I stole this photo from facebook (yep, reCAP has its own fb page) that I think was taken by  someone named Amber Reddinger. Amber wrote
Your fabulous caps arrived and immediately went to work! They work perfectly -- no leaks, easy on and off -- perfect! And besides, they just look so darn snazzy. :)

Hey, Amber, good to hear! But I stole it because it's about the best photo of the thing, even better than on the website in my opinion. I saw one photo where a crocheter uses it to hold her yarn, the leading part coming out the spout. And lots of photos showing them holding things you usually put in mason jars (ok, I do anyway) like beans and cereal and popcorn. All well and good, I definitely am going for the drinks factor. And good on the woman who invented this! I'll only say this about that. If you have an inventive itch inside you, yearning to see the light of day, you really should check out Kickstarter, it's pretty fine.


Have a wow! it's Wednesday! Wednesday. Wind something up. (Wind - the twisting roundy wind, and wind, the blowy thing...should NOT be spelled the same).

6 comments:

  1. Donna Dotson5/16/12, 6:24 AM

    I love the mason jar lids. I may have to order me some too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a great idea! And if plastic can be good, this is...BPA free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug's contraption is a cabasa with the handle removed, and mounted for stationary play. It is a versatile percussion instrument that can be made to sound like brushes, snare, or even a rain stick. I love mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! Thanks for that. I really meant the whole shebang connected together, but I didn't know the name of the cabasa so now I do (and others too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sumtimes yew kinda tawk funnie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are not the first to notice that, Mark!

    ReplyDelete