Monday, May 14, 2012

Groovy Afternoon(s)

My first bananas!! Jesse gave me this tree a couple of years ago and it has looked pathetic,
so the other day I was shocked to see this hand of bananas among the mostly dead leaves. Hooray!
From my window yesterday, the world looked pretty unappetizing (except for the bananas!); grayish with a mist (we were guessing it was Sahara dust rather than mist, but who knows) and a dulled sun to go with it. But when the call came to head out to the water for a snorkeling Sunday Funday, I was pretty sure things would brighten up considerably, and sure enough, the sky held blue, the sun seemed stronger and the water was silky divine.



We snorkeled for awhile and it was good to see, on the edges af large areas where the bottom is quite dead, spreading oases of new corals growing, sheltering lots of baby fish. There was even an eel, tucked away into a tiny coral cave. I only got a glimpse of eyes and mouth by the time I swam over to summoning and pointing hands, missing its out of the cave multi-colored electric blue display, but yes! there it was, quickly quickly and then there it wasn't.

Sitting on the boat deck we saw a few small turtles swimming by, a ray and a lot of sea grass floating about and piling up on the shoreline. Peaceful. Good. Why we live here.

Houseboat Queen
The sun began to head down and it was time to head home. A very good Mother's Day if you can't be with the grown up rug rats.



On Saturday, during a walk into town, I saw this horse and rider. I've seen the horse before, but not very often. There really is just something special about white horses.


How white horses feel about cars

Good-bye, man and white horse. See you next time.

Have a mammoth Monday! Do something on your mission.

5 comments:

  1. It suddenly occurred to me that you need a camera that can go underwater. If you have a Canon, you can probably get a waterproof case to go with it.

    Sahara dust makes hurricanes.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, Mark, I always heard Sahara dust inhibits hurricanes. Anyway, a few miles east the haze nearly removed all blue from the sky. Brother O checked and the consensus is that it is a mix of S dust and volcanic activity on Montserrat...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark,I agree there were some things I saw yesterday that had me itching for an underwater camera. I think I'd just as soon get one that is made for the purpose. One of these days! You get some incredible shots with yours! and yes, the popular thinking is that Sahara dust does tamp down hurricane potential, however I won't promise anything on that!

    Doug, yep, Montserrat has been acting up some so that doesn't surprise me. Hope you had some great weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first photograph--b&w with lots of depth of field--is a corker! wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that one too, anon. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete