Monday, May 7, 2012

Where is the Slow in the Slow Season?

Rather than slow, it seems there is a lot going on lately on the social scene around here. But that always seems the case; lots of not much not much not much and then a whirl and back to not much. Just so you know? Not much is not bad.

I stole this photo from Zuleyma's facebook page to celebrate the birth and birthday of Steve, who has been one of my favorite Culebra guys since he walked off the ferry. Low key, really funny, smart, and these days, a great partner and wonderful Daddy, I wish him all good things in this new year of life. While his mustache is not the object of adoration to me that it is to Z, I can say he wears it well! and apparently, always has.


We've had rain! A lot more rain has swirled around us than actually fallen on us, but we've gotten enough to get cisterns full and the land well watered, so that makes it just the right amount of rain. The other day, in a sunny, very still break, it looked like this. Strange and beautiful.




Saturday was Cinqo de Mayo and who could do that better than Zach at Zaco's? It was so good, I was there at lunch AND dinner (no, I took a break in between and it was sort of accidental, but an accident of the good kind). There were souvenir sombreros and bubbles and little mariachi ducks, along with beads and fun margarita glasses. And specials, like the duck taco, which was divine, with Ben's pickled watermelon rind as an accompaniment, which was swoonably delicious.

Who was that man and why is he holding water, which wrecked the photo? I forget.

I kept my necklace until the dinner return, when we met a lovely New Zealand couple.
The necklaces were long gone and I thought she needed this bit of tangible memory making
(between that and meeting John, I doubt she'll ever forget Cinqo de Mayo on Culebra)

For the first year in as long as I can remember, I didn't know a thing about any horses running in the Kentucky Derby this year. I even forgot it was going on. And by the time the evening was over, it had been won by (of course) I'll Have Another at 15-1 odds, so it's a shame Ann didn't bet on this one, as he was one of her picks, for the name at least. But it was time to hit the margarita trail again...
Doug, giving the blessing "What did we order all of this for? Where is the pitcher of margaritas?"

John, growing old disgracefully, before the crowd arrived
Wiki and Jorge being their musically awesome selves
The usual suspects
The Super Moon shining down on us, right before it rained
If you look around the web, there are some incredible photos of the moon rising on Saturday...over oceans, over cities, over glacial fields. This is not one of them. I was at the end of the street by Zaco's, on my tip toes, peering over a vehicle and between a couple of buildings while the moon played hide and seek with the clouds.
But I won't forget it!
Have a modestly full of more than the mundane Monday. Do something melodious.

2 comments: