Sunday, May 27, 2012

One Fine Day

On a clear day, you can see almost forever, but I couldn't see St. Croix. A road beckoned and I followed, a road I've rarely been on and I don't think I ever walked on, which is the most right way to be on it at all. Except you have to walk backward going up, with each step changing the view.

I brought along the phone to play with the camera (learning that it sucks at zoom even more than I thought, but I won't throw it out for that - it definitely has some good features. Like, it's part of a PHONE! which I hope will continue to stay ridiculously strange to my mind for a long time).

In real life, you could see the sands of Vieques with extreme clarity.
Zoom still pretty bad, even at this distance
But from here! Not so bad, if you like the road. And I do.
Coming back down the road
On the other hand, for closer captures, it ain't so bad!

Another ponytail palm
Seriously gorgeous
There is a lot of this around here. Walls and walls of it. Retaining walls, not house walls.

It makes my arms tired just looking at these walls of stone, even while being awed by the beauty and the craft. I think this is how one knows one is growing older; instead of thinking immediately, 'I could do that!' one thinks, 'Who could I hire to do that?'

Have a sensation full Sunday. Do something sagacious.

4 comments:

  1. MJ - can I comment here as "anonymous"? I guess I'll find out. What happened to your camera? I don't think the warranty is still good on the one I had. Let me know if we can help - seriously. Anyway, many of your comments here ring true with my current ponderings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, sure ;) It's just wonky on the lighting settings...looks fine until I half depress the shoot button and then goes off the setting intended. I'm going to get it to the Canon folk when I get to the states. Just makes it a hassle to shoot, because the light will seem right but then over or under exposed and then grainy or whatever. Don't worry about it! Lots of good still there. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait. what? I LOVe this camera. But have been imbibing a bit, so I'll check again tomorow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all about the computer key invention that can read alcohol levels and lock up if need be. If I was clever enough, I would invent it and be a mega-star, but I'll leave it to someone else who hopefully will toss me a few bucks for the idea. But in fact? I have no idea what you mean, Sharon! ;)

    ReplyDelete