Thursday, May 10, 2012

Use It, Reuse It, Let's Do It Again

After my smooth sailing through the collecteria yesterday morning, Teresa and I were headed back toward home when the sounds of a parade hit our ears. We pulled over to see lots of school kids, with adults sheparding, making a march for recycling. Just getting trash into the trash is a big thing around here, and recycling is a struggle to keep going, so it was really fantastic to see this happening. Go Waleska! and all the others involved in making this happen.

note: Recycling isn't easy on an island without a recycling plant. It all has to go some other place than here, logistics and cost involved quite different than the mainland when you think about it. So please try not to be too impatient with our baby step efforts nor complain when you have to take a little drive to dispose of your recycling items in the proper place.



There was even a Recycling Queen!


A little farther down the road, some really serious recycling was going on. The plane that crashed was entirely dismantled and put into this truck. Really. I wish I'd had time to take more photos of the process because going by it a few times in the course of the day it was pretty incredible to see. By the time I was heading home around 7-ish, the area was completely cleared and cleaned up.


I figured since I had all the paperwork and the afternoon was free, I might as well head over to Fajardo and take care of all things boat. I almost did.

I have to say, as much as it can be a hassle sometimes, I do love riding the ferry for the views.
Well, if it's not raining, which it was not.
There were a lot of seaweed beds. I thought I was in the Sargasso Sea there a couple of times.

The woman at the boat registration place couldn't have been nicer. She also saved me a lot of money because. I had my expiration dates confused by one month (shocked, are you not?) and thanks to her, won't have to pay twice for the privilege of being legal. The man who used to take care of registrations might *cough* not have been so kind. I said, "You are a lot nicer friendlier easier to work with different than the man who used to work here; do other people tell you that?" She got a little grin and barely nodded. I'll take the trip again next month and everyone will be happy.

The guy who drove me around was picking up some things for a man I know here, so it was arranged for me to carry them back over and meet him at the dock. We made that errand and got to the five o'clock cargo ferry in the nick of time (instead of having to wait until seven). Hooray! Meet was made, goods transferred, a ride home given. Ahhhh, home.

At about this part in the trip, with Culebra in easy sight, you just want to be home. 
The sunset was a good distraction for the last part of the journey.
I'm not very good at waiting where I should wait when we are closing in on the dock but it helped to photograph these chains during the last few minutes.  Big boat stuff is cool.

“We do not want our chains more comfortable, we want them removed.” - Arch (one of The Elders)


Have a make your travel fun Thursday! Do something tapping your toes.

1 comment:

  1. All of that seaweed you see is washing up on the Gulf Coast beaches. It's great for the ecosystem but quite smelly!!

    ReplyDelete