Thursday, May 3, 2012

Jeepers Creepers, Where'd I Get These Peepers?


Beside the 8 peepers inside the coop, we have drawn the attention of other new (very new babies) mamas in the neighborhood. There is the matron with her 8 or 9 golden red chicks, the one with her 8 or 9 black chicks and one very nervous mother with only one chick. I assume she's nervous because that is the only one left and who knows what happened to the rest of them?

They all hang around the coop, looking inside, At first they came for the grain that spilled to open ground from the small holding coop, (it's at 'work height'), but that is gone now, with 20 or so extras on the scene. So I'm not quite sure what the attraction is. Unless they are trying to tunnel in to some very spoiled cousins. I have tried to get photos but the mamas are wary and protective and they start moving out fast at a glimpse of me. Yes, to eight I am a goddess, and to the rest I am the two legged Bad Thing. I can live with that.

This has nothing to do with chickens, unlike 98% of my life.
This is a yard I walk by a lot; tidy and well set up, with little tranquil touches, it is sort of a rarity here.
Yesterday when I realized I was out of chick feed, I went to Genesis, only to realize that they were out too. So I figured it was time to go to the new Agricultural type store here that I'd heard about. A friend who owns a taxi stopped and I asked him if he knew where it was. He did and delivered me to their closed door. I wandered around a bit and a young man told me they would be open tomorrow, they were on the big island getting more stuff. I did get what I needed at my next stop, Cheli's, who luckily had a couple of bags of chick feed left. It's good to know that ONE of your markets will have the chicken feed you need!


This is next door to the chicken feed place. I have no idea what it is, but I like it!
I don't know how long we'll have many of these doors left, so I'm capturing any I see.

After securing food for the chicks, I was heading to Milka's when I saw Walt's vehicle parked in its usual spot if he is at Dinghy Dock for happy hour. I'd heard DD was closed except for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday so naturally I had to investigate. There were the usual suspects, along with a few visitors. Neil told me they were NOT closed, but the hours were different. So, happy hour is from 4 to 6:30, and the restaurant is open Thursday through Sunday afternoon. If that's not confusing enough, I tried! There is happy hour noshing in the form of tacos, Sloppy Jose's - upgraded Sloppy Joe's - all you can eat spaghetti and whatever else strikes Neil's creative food mind. You'll just have to check it out!
Spaghetti and some awesome sauce, serve yourself!

And yes, I did get to Milka's. I knew you were worried about that. 

We've been in a grey, overcast mode the last couple of days. Yesterday it seemed a sure thing we'd get some blasting rain, but it just skimmed us on the north side instead. I'm not sure what today will bring, but I am glad I got the laundry done a couple of days ago. 



This video was sent to me by a friend who saw my photo attempt on the blog the other day. Thanks so much, y'all!!! I love it!



Have a non-torrential Thursday! Do something un-tempermentally.

2 comments: