Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tidy Tuesday

There are a couple of pages I've been keeping open on my computer, pages I keep meaning to share here and forgetting about - but in the ongoing effort of putting order in my life, here you go!

This one, called Foodily is a recipe collection site. MJ, you might ask, don't we have enough recipes for food we never make/use/eat? And I would answer, no, I don't think so! Of course, at one time in my life I owned around 200 recipe books, so I'm not the best source of unbiased information on this subject. Truthfully, I usually only use recipes as springboards, especially since moving to Culebra where you can't just run out and get that not-usually-around-the-house item. But for that very reason, something new and different sparking my food imagination is a very good and welcome thing.

Am I too much a purist for these Tiger Shrimp summer rolls
to not rock my food world? I think not.
(photo credit unknown: source Food Republic)
The different sort of thing about Foodily is that, say you want a recipe for oh....sushi. Well of course you do, who doesn't? Instead of getting a big written list you have to blindly choose from, with this you get really nice visuals, and lots of various types of whatever your food choice might be, from many different sources. Maybe even too much variety, but I'm a purist when it comes to certain foods, which can be pretty boring. Choice is good! But there are also ways to personalize your choices and tailor them closer to your style. Which is pretty cool. There is also a blog and other bits and pieces to paddle around in. Enjoy!

Unsurprisingly, or maybe surprisingly, the other site is about home. It's a home design site, but a whole lot more. My brother turned me onto it because he is building a home in North Carolina and sent me a bunch of photo ideas from the site. I was immediately hooked. You can type in everything from tiny homes to houseboats to cabins to rustic kitchens to tree houses and get all sorts of visual eye candy (and just like any candy store, some will have that icky filling but you just keep going and find the good stuff - no one is watching, break 'em all open until you get what you want).

Just kidding, Pan
I'm in the process of re-configuring my tiny houseboat and Pan is the man who will be doing the work of it, so I keep finding things on this site saying I want that! and he keeps sending back email (I think he's just got a boilerplate copy by now) saying, let's just get the basics done first, MJ. Basics, schmasics! I want that clever little storage area and the awesome staircase leading up to the beautifully screened bedroom on top...um...that doesn't exist yet.

My dinghy is calling me. One more coat of periwinkle and it's flip over time!

Have a tidy it all up Tuesday! Do something tediously rewarding.


2 comments:

  1. I think you inspired me to mow the yard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, Mark! I've done the painting and hope the much cloudier sky doesn't mean rain yet. One more long avoided chore awaits, but I cannot wake up the cat, so it is on hold for the moment. Because that's just the sort of caring cat-owned person I am.

    ReplyDelete