Thursday, July 12, 2012

Buffed, Puffed and Enough

The places I've been so far have beautiful women, with or without makeup, but there's a lot of with (well done, for the most part). I've been in bathrooms with counters so full of beauty products I think I can just hang out there and by osmosis, have them all work on their appointed places. I'm told it doesn't work that way. Oh, I used to wear make-up, a little. But somewhere along the way, the last little plastic container of eye shadow flaked away, the last tube of mascara got lost and lipstick was never much of a friend.

But I look at these women in my life and the ones on the streets and stores and restaurants and bars and think, hmmm. So I made the leap, albeit an MJ sized leap. I didn't let Sloane put purple streaks in my hair, even though at some moment on the phone I had told her she could. I didn't get my toenails professionally colored (that's Sloane's job and has only happened once, though we do have a toenail painting date). But I did let my daughter buy me a shampoo that supposedly shines the silver and takes away the yellow. I didn't even know there was yellow in my hair. We'll see what happens next.

Really? I'd rather be dancing.


Yesterday Sloane also took a giant step into grown-upville. She got her official restricted driving permit, meaning that she can drive the car alone to work, or on errands for her mom. I think that's how it goes. Anyway, it's huge. To celebrate, she chose to go to Bobo's Drive-In, hamburger spot here in Topeka. It's so well known that it was on an episode of Diner's, Drive-in's and Dives, the food show. The only thing to show for it there is a lamp that is signed with a sharpie, Diners Drive Ins and Dives was here!

It's tiny, with small booths covered in a pinkish plasticky stuff. The bathroom is through the kitchen and down some old scuffed wooden stairs. The burgers are smushed and fried, there is no question on how you want them done, they are just done. I followed Grayson's lead; we  ordered root beer floats and they were classically awesome, with Sloane opting for the chocolate malt, also good, super chocolately and a LOT of malt - a good thing. She also got the onion rings, which were excellent, barely coated, crisp, perfect. I eat onion rings once every few years, and usually they aren't much to inspire a repeat, but these were good. I stole one. And then some more. 

There was even the classic diner friendly waitress. She didn't call me hon, but she did agree to be in this photo. Thanks!


Sloane drove off this morning with Grayson, to summer camp with all the mom and grandma admonitions ringing in her ears. I held my phone close by and at the exact second I was thinking, she should be there by now, the text came. 'We're here'. And all is well. 

Have a true to you Thursday! Do something transparent.

6 comments:

  1. I love every single one of your posts!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this website today and immediately thought of you. There are some wonderful recipes here, and you always seem to be cooking up something wonderful. So as I am cooking up a pot of black beans tonight I'll be thinking of you and Culebra and Kim...which is something that happens a lot anyway, at least on Kim's part. Here's the link: http://5challenge.tumblr.com/

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, that is a GREAT site, thanks so much for sharing it and yes, Kim walking by on her way to work with her tupperware full of something yummy absolutely comes to mind (just talking about her the other day...no one here knew her but they all feel like they do now!). Enjoy those black beans! (I always use a little vinegar and finely chopped red onions on top, table side - it's making my mouth water now).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, having quite the visit?! Looks awesome and fun! Let the girls girly you up just a little, its all part of the ride! Michelle and the kids look great, I think you were just the tonic at just the right time, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sweet to be here, girly girls and all.

    ReplyDelete