Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Kansas 2012 - It's a Wrap


I didn't think I'd be posting today, but, I never promised any ability to be quiet. 

Yesterday we did a little whirlwind of 'last things' which, of course, means oysters. The town of Lawrence, a college town about a half an hour away from Topeka, is full of great shops and lots of restaurants, but we had to pick one. Restaurant, I mean. So we chose Jefferson's for wings and oysters. The oysters were incredible, yes, right here in the heartland, where they fly them in from Deleware right now. Not huge, not small, briny and firm; I was impressed. Indeed. The waitress said she, not being an oyster person, was surprised how many people in Kansas really like oysters. And sushi, which is served across the street. I'm just real glad that  they do.

Jefferson's is a chain place and maybe in a number of the cities where it has locations would just be yet another decent, fun wings and oysters place, but in Lawrence, its only mid-west spot, it's a stand out.

Apparently, some guy decorated the first dollar the place brought in. Soon, it was a trend and all of the restaurants have walls decorated with dollar bills, up to and including part of the ceiling.
I've never combined oysters with wings, but we did and it was good!
We decorated our dollar in between bites.

The sacrificial wing.
Our dollar. You can guess which part was my artistry.
The main street of Lawrence is not that long, but filled with historic buildings, most of which are now updated, hip and fun without destroying the character of the building itself.


This was a bank, now a restaurant called...Tellers. The bathrooms are in the safe.
Really. I checked.

Because of a slight change in pick up plans, I needed to get my tent early. So the girls and I headed out to the big box stores. Tent choices were slim, but Target had exactly what I was looking for. Made in Indonesia. With an owner's manual. An explicitly detailed owners manual. I felt like I bought a Jag.

There are warnings. There are parts and pieces lists. And lots of pictures.
There's even a troubleshooting list. Every life should come with such a great owner's manual.
Eventually, as ever, the night fell, good nights were said, and sleep was filled with some weird dreams, a not unusual occurrence when I'm heading back out into the world, and in this case, the unknown world. It's been good here, most of all the love, the laughter, even the tears. Adios, Kansas. Adios, loved ones. Until we meet again.


Have a wistfully won memories Wednesday. Do something wealthy in love.






No comments:

Post a Comment