Friday, July 13, 2012

Kansas Free Range Friday the Lucky 13th

There is this patch of mint out the back door that has been calling my name. My food name. Which I will never reveal or risk losing my magic food powers. Powers such as, she says, straightening out her digression, hearing mint calling my name.

The biggest use of mint I know, beside mojitos, is tabouli. And tabouli calls for bulgur wheat as well. I didn't have any bulgur wheat. Or couscous or quinoa, all fairly decent substitutes for bulgur wheat. Hey, it's not my kitchen! But we did have cooked rice, leftover from something, and it would work.

This is what went into the tabouli. Easy peasy lemon squeezey. Oh, except I forgot the parsley.
Ok, so there's parsley too. Oops, and garlic. Of course.

Tabouli Salad

3 cups cooked bulgur wheat or rice or quinoa or couscous
One small onion, chopped fine or enough scallions to be a small onion, thinly sliced
One large cucumber or two small ones, diced
One large tomato or two medium, diced
Enough chopped mint to make about a cup, same with the parsley
1 juicy lemon squeezed (without the seeds, use a strainer or a paper towel or your hand)
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt/pepper to taste

Mix it all up and let it stand, covered, to let the flavors mellow together. This can be eaten chilled or at room temperature, your call. Or just let the mint tell you. 

The day before, we followed, more or less, the recipe from Closet Cooking for Creamy Avocado/Guacomole Egg Salad Sandwich. Except that we didn't use mayonnaise or bacon. A low salt diet, which is how we're doing things these days, means no bacon. But do it the way you like; it's good either way. It's good. Really good. We're going to make it again.


What is that it's sitting on, instead of bread, you might ask? It's a Magic Pop. I know. The kids wanted to try them. They are slightly strange, but pretty good for an edible food bowl. And, they are all natural. And they have some really weird packaging to read, a plus in my book. I seriously recommend checking out the link. We used the onion ones, but I actually tasted the strawberry. Just say no to that one.

While Sloane was getting her license, Grayson and I wandered around trying to find something to photograph. This is one thing we found.

Is it just me and Gray or does this look like an angry giraffe?

One thing I've found is that Sloane is the only one  who doesn't golf. Like me. We bond, deeply on this. Not really. We save deep bonding for important things. 


Gray and Michelle might beg to differ on the level of importance pertaining to the game of golf. I do like riding in driving the cart though and that should count.

Have a free flight of fancy Friday! Do something slightly frightening (to you, not someone else!).

No comments:

Post a Comment