Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Well, I Swan!


The Oxford English Dictionary has "swan" as a verb, labeled U.S. slang, derived probably (it says) from northern England dialectal "Is' wan," literally "I shall warrant" = I'll be bound; later taken as a mincing substitute for "swear." The first use in print recorded in the dictionary is from the year 1823.
Both *swan* and *swanny* mean 'to swear' or 'to declare', and are used only in exclamations in the first person singular. Both are Americanisms; *swan* is first recorded in the late eighteenth century, *swanny* in the early nineteenth.

Or, you could just get real literal and see that it means, I swan. As in, I swan, you swan, we all do the swan swoon. Or not. But I do. And that's just ducky.

Papa Keeps Watch

Yes! I'm a swan! and you are a duck. Just a duck, you hear me?

All right, children, today you are going to learn the fine art of preening.







Get your head completely wet!

I'm impressed, Mrs. Swan!


Now, back on land, fluff, fluff, fluff. 
 This duck had me laughing a lot. It came down the waterway, honking on a steady beat, like it was the marine patrol.


Then, back came a flock of them, with him at the rear, honking all the way.

Time to mix it up, now that everyone is looking their best.

Darling! I'm so glad you decided to join us!

Seaweed is a fine appetizer

and worth stretching for





Time to move along toward bed nests
And the same is true for me. Well, the time to move along part. Just a reminder due to something a little birdie whispered ~ I do sell my photos, so if you are interested, let me know, rather than helping yourself. Otherwise I have  to watermark them and I find that a less than appealing idea. Thanks!!

Have a tell it to the teacher Tuesday!  Do something truthfully.

3 comments:

  1. I used to know a guy named Juan who was so heartless and mean... We called him Ice Juan.
    Just kidding,
    great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm guessing you don't know we have a guy here nicknamed Joe Ice - because he makes and sells ice. And he is the warmest, most lovely guy you could ever meet! Glad you like the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew where the term swanny came from. My father, who I never heard utter a single swear word (unlike his sons) used to say "I swanny..." with much emotion when angry. He also said "cheese and crackers" and my mother would say "Clyde, people think you are taking the lords name in vain when you say that". "I don't care what they think, I'm not". As always, great photos.

    ReplyDelete