Friday, July 20, 2012

Free Range Friday - Kansas

This morning Sloane and I were behind a truck filled with gigantic cantaloupes. The farmer stopped at the local chain grocery store here, Dillons, where they would pile them up for sale. We decided not to wait but went to another Dillons, where a delivery of cantaloupes had already been made and for 1.99 bought one of the most fragrant, summer in your mouth melons I've had in a long, long time. 

Yes, the honeydew is in there as well. I'm thinking...proscuitto...
I wondered how the seeds would taste if they were roasted. A tiny bit of olive oil on a baking sheet, a light pass of salt and a 200 degree oven for about 20 minutes convinced me they are good roasted! If you like really crunchy things and don't mind eating the whole thing, because I'm not compulsive enough to crack them open. Nutty, crunchy goodness. Oh yes.


There is a lot of zucchini around the kitchen and it was time to do something with it. I made four mini loaves of zucchini bread and this is all that is left. From two kids who made serious 'Grandma, you really expect me to eat zucchini bread?' faces to 'More, please.' I like that.

I took the recipe from Smitten Kitchen, but I wouldn't use a cup of oil again, maybe half a cup would be fine. Also I used 3 cups of zucchini instead of 2 and because I didn't have any walnuts (or pecans, or any other kind of nut that would work), we went without because I didn't want to go out again.  Did I mention it is seriously hot here?


While we were at that Dillons, which oddly enough is the one where Monsieur Fromage worked, we stopped by the cheese area and there he was, lo these two years later. He still makes my heart go pitter patter for some weird, probably slightly perverted reason, but I managed to avoid leaping over the cheeses to pinch his cheek. I was only trying not to embarrass Sloane with Crazy Grandma Incidents That Could Scar Her For Life being more than simply friendly. 

And we saw this car. In a little mall with a few neat shops that thankfully were not open yet. I couldn't fit the car in my backpack, so we left it there. But I could imagine cruising the byways of America in it. I'd even wear a big straw hat. And a summer dress with strappy sandals. I would.



The Alien dog is snoring (how can he help it? he's a Boston Terrier), Sloane is napping. I'm prowling around eating roasted cantaloupe seeds while keeping an eye on the bird feeder. Multi-tasking queen? Yes I am.

Have a follow your fromage guy fancies Friday. Do something feet flat on the firmament fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment