Monday, July 23, 2012

This is Dedicated to the Books I Love

(photo credit: unknown)
I'm feeling a little guilty these days about not reading. Every once in a great while in my life, I prance around bookless, with only a little shame. But then it starts to become apparent that bookless, the brain starts to chafe. So when I saw a few articles about this on a few different blogs, which is odd, since this happened back in 2006-2008, I decided to don a faux bookshirt and share it with you. Bookpants come later.

The group BookCrossing, if you aren't familiar with them (though I wrote about them quite awhile back and your memory should be like a steel trap, snapping those synapses...however, it's still a bit early here so we all get a pass) exists to let loose into the world the books you've read and deem worth passing on. You can read all about it here and get info on how to participate too! It's very worth knowing about.

(photos following -  credit: unknown)
Apparently in Berlin, some people took the idea to a very cool level. Bookcases for holding the freed books were hewn out of logs and set out in the public thoroughfare, and named the Book Forest.

These are some of the people and groups that participated:  if it gives you any ideas for projects involving all sorts of disciplines in an excellent and long lived endeavor, carry on!!



Apprentices of the occupational group of the value chain forest-wood-book
Apprentices of forestry, Revierförsterei Eichkamp, Berlin
Apprentices of carpentry, GFBM e.V., Berlin
Apprentices of cabinetmaking, BAUFACHFRAU Berlin e.V.,Berlin
Apprentices of media technology, vocational school of the AUCOTEAM Ltd.,Berlin
Apprentices of the vocational college of print and media technology,
Ernst-Litfaß-School,Berlin
Apprentices of the book trade,Thalia Bookstore, Berlin



I only wish I'd known about this when friends Jim and Lorraine and their daughter went to Berlin recently. I would have asked for photos and observations. Well, if you are going someplace interesting and see something worth posting about, let me know, before I'm back to Culebra all of the time. Sort of, pretty much.

And for book lovers - thankfully our tribe is alive, even with reading devices, BookCrossings is a very cool project and happening all over the world. If you know about something in your area that would be awesome to share here, clue me in. I'm only one person, you know (even if a few of us live in here). 

In the meantime, we're still taking care of the garden bounty of others. If I seem somewhat obsessed by garden goodness these days, there is a very simple reason for that. I am!

Take every veg in the kitchen and chop it into bite sized pieces.
Add garlic. And minced clams. Or not.
Oh, start with a tablespoon of olive oil.
Saute it all for awhile, until the tomatoes are almost soft.
Ok, that's enough.  STOP!
Have some pasta going on. Put it all together. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper
and grated parmesan. Or pecorino romano.  Not cheese whiz, I beg you. Thanks, Michelle!
Enjoy!

Two more days and Kansas will be in my back window for this trip. What lies ahead promises to be an interesting adventure. Stay tuned.

Have a memory making Monday. Do something non-monotonous. 

3 comments:

  1. from a reader - You asked about books....well, here in sleepy ******** we have what we affectionately call "the dump"....this is where we take our glass, tin, paper, etc to be recycled....and our grass clippings, our branches that fall down in the wind, etc, etc, etc...... BUT NO PIZZA BOXES....why you ask?????? "they draw rats".....what can I tell you.....we have a couple of numb nuts that watch over the dump.....but the powers to be call it "THE RECYLMATION CENTER".....yeah right....anyway....some good soul has taken all the books that people recycle and now we have a library that is spectacular....in the order of authors, topic, etc......I don't think we have bought a book for years....it is the best thing in the world...take a book....leave a book....just great! I don't know who does all the work...I do know it isn't any of the numb nuts...they do s......but whoever it is we can't thank them enough since we are a couple that uses a cell phone only when we travel.....and a nook, kindle???? what are they....so that is our book situation here at the shore....keep us posted....and safe travels!!!

    P.S. There is also a box, lined with fabric for flags that are torn or worn out to be burned...total respect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mj, I really enjoy reading your blog. Maybe I can muster a trip to Culebra in the future,I identify with Grandma's that say 'balderdash'. I would love to see you again. Elani Fink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elani!! It would be wonderful to have you on Culebra, it's your kind of getaway (and I had no idea you read my blog, woohoo!). Let me know, we'll yell balderdash from the...um...bridge.

    ReplyDelete