Friday, July 6, 2012

Connecticut/Kansas Free Range Friday





I'm in Kansas now (I think I am IN a state but ON an island, but that's just how it feels) but the last day before I left Conn. we took a really good walk in the woods to a reservoir that we didn't swim in. But Zorra did. Zorra, as some of you might remember, is one of the 11 or 12 goldens that were left on Zoni beach and went to really lucky families.

The greenness of June in Connecticut cannot be overstated. It is close to edible and touches senses that don't have names. I fell pretty deeply into it. And the stones are big enough that I didn't fall over them.





I'm not sure what was going on here, but I'm thinking solstice...
Crystals in the stone




I walked over this bridge a lot. Just because I could.
Yes, it really is that big a tree split in half.
This spot calls. I was happy to answer.

Lorraine and Zorra waiting for me up ahead
After we got home, it was time to check out the prosciutto, which is the food part of this Free Range Friday. I'd scrubbed the mold from it and we re-hung it until Jim got back. We were all a little worried, even though it smelled fine. But  it was time to let the slicing begin.

It was beautiful. It was beyond delicious. It was prosciutto! How do you make it? Get a pig. Feed it everything. Kill it when it is way beyond cuteness, giving thanks to its pig spirit for feeding your own body.
Do some butchering. Encrust this hind quarter in salt. Hang it for a year or more in a cold basement.
Get brave and eat it.
I want a pig. 
Jim sliced and Monique carefully trimmed away the outer edges. We wouldn't let her trim the fat off. 
We didn't JUST have prosciutto for dinner. We had it first though, with fresh mozzarella. There was no way to overdo it, but we didn't make it too far through that pile. Ah well, more for later!
We had fish too. Cod, broiled. It's locally fished, delicate and fresh enough to slap you.
I either had to take the photos before anything happened or after
because it was pretty easy to forget the camera.
Thus endeth the Connecticut portion of the program. Of course I took a lot of cloud photos, because I was up in the air four times getting here. But I finally did and it's a joy dancing thing.

Have a feed your heart, soul and mind Friday! Do something un-fretful.


2 comments: