Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Fingers Crossed = Hope the Internet Stays On (and bacon wrapped turkey too)

With the weather we've been having, our connection here has been like a first time bicycle rider, going smooth, halts and bumps and the occasional falling over in a complete stop. But it seems to be working right now so here we go!

Yesterday was so rainy, there was nothing much to do but cook and read. I dragged out some turkey legs I had and wondered what to do with them. I also had some bacon. Hmmm. Bacon wrapped turkey legs? A glance around the web showed I wasn't the first to come up with this idea (anything that can be done with bacon has been done before, some not suitable for reading in a public blog, I'm sure) but I was really surprised that one recipe that was specifically for turkey legs wrapped in bacon claims Puerto Rico as its provenance. Who knew?? Even better, it was stuffed turkey legs wrapped in bacon. Well, not exactly, but that's what I did.

Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Turkey Legs 
 (very much adapted from the recipe of Zulma Lozano "My dad's favorite, this is in his loving memory. This recipe is a delicious Puerto Rican style turkey.)
  
Ingredients
  •   2 turkey legs
  •   1/4 cup sesame oil
  •   1/4 cup olive oil
  •   1 large shallot
  •   3 garlic cloves
  •   1 tablespoons salt
  •   1 pinch ground black pepper
  •   1 teaspoon dried oregano
  •   1 tablespoon minced racao (you can use cilantro or parsley here)
  •   2 tablespoons white vinegar
  •   6 slices bacon (this will vary depending on the size of your bacon)
  •   2 tablespoons soy sauce 
  1. Make numerous vertical slits in the turkey legs. 
  2. In a small bowl combine the sesame and olive oil with the salt, pepper, soy sauce, vinegar, racao and  oregano. Marinate turkey legs in the oil mixture at least one hour (could be overnight if you want)
  3. Cut shallot and garlic into small squares (approximately the same size as the slits you cut on the legs). Fill each slit with a few pieces of shallot and garlic. Wrap one or two pieces of bacon around each leg.
  4. After the legs are stuffed, wrapped and marinated, brown them in the oil mixture on medium-high. You can cook them on a medium low heat for about 45 minutes in the olive oil mixture. I chose to bake them in a 325 oven for an hour. Options are a beautiful thing. 

 Ok, the racao wasn't exactly minced, but I was hungry and hurrying

 Half way done cooking - the aroma was killing me

 This is the one I hadn't taken a bite from before I remembered to take a photo. 
One is plenty for a meal. The other one was lunch today. Good thing I didn't make 3.

I did add one thing that most likely you can't easily get, so I didn't include it in the recipe. I was on a mango hunt yesterday (I use them in my mango/papaya hot sauce, so if you have extras, bring 'em on) and went by a house where I'm allowed to forage to find the mangoes weren't ready but the cashews were. Yes. Cashews. The only time I've ever had anything from the cashew fruit was a drink that was made for me on Jost Van Dyke with rum. It was one of my very few exceptions where I drank rum and enjoyed it. I know it's good and they'd just rot, so I took a few home with me.

Aren't they beautiful? And the smell wafting off them is unlike any fruit I know

After peeling the fruit (and taking off the cashew seed) I squished all the juice out of it into the marinade. And it was good! If you want to know more about cashews and why the little buggers are so expensive (after reading this, you might think they are a pretty good deal at the price), check out this article. In looking for information, I read an article about a guy who found a cashew tree and just bit into the seed (still in its covering)...and when the resulting swelling and burning occurred, he decided to stay away from cashews. It would have behooved him to make use of the internet before opening his mouth and inserting the equivalent of poison ivy... It's not the first time I've read about or met someone who just plucks something they know nothing about and chomps away (I've mentioned the guy who ate the fruit from a manchineel tree here that I directed post haste to the clinic when he reported his 'tingly' mouth), but I still don't get it. This ain't Disney Land, people!

Buen provecho! Yes, I know this isn't Free Range Friday, but what else is there to do on a rainy day??

This morning I walked down to the shore and for only about the 3rd or 4th time, saw great clumps of seaweed everywhere. I wish I knew what kind it is, I could probably cook something with it!



 Have a tied-in Tuesday! Do something with topophilia.

No comments:

Post a Comment