Friday, June 3, 2011

Free Range Friday in Heat

Because most likely I'll be eating cool salads today, I think this recipe from Closet Cooking sounds great; summery, quick and light fare for these hot days we're having, with a little bit of heat for jazziness. Whether or not spicy foods help cool a person down is up for debate. But if your taste buds are happy, you might forget about the outside temps for awhile.

There is a lime that grows on St. Croix that is red. I'd not seen them before and I've not seen them since. The bartender at Hotel on the Cay used to serve me my drinks with them and they were wonderful. I asked why I'd never seen them before and he told me he usually didn't serve them because people thought they were weird. I asked why he served them to me. He just smiled.

Chipotle Fish Lime Tacos

  • 1 pound white fish such as tilapia, cod, etc.
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1 lime, juice
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder - link this
  • 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 8 (4 inch) corn tortillas
Directions
For directions, go here 

If I think about it too much and make it myself, I'll post photos. If you make this, send photos!

Yesterday the air was almost visible with heat, and not in a shimmery way. It was freighted, weighted and full of water that didn't turn into rain. It simply sucked the breath out of you. Of course, I was working outside, so that didn't ease anything. But a shower and the fan did wonders. I waited until it was a bit cooler, baked a couple of loaves of bread and nobody died, so until some rain breaks this humidity, it's survivable. It's always good, while whining, to remember those with no roof over their heads, and worse tragedies in their lives not so very far away. Something about being humbled that way cools me off considerably.

Funny that this photo actually looks more like it is cold than so hazed with heat it was difficult to actually see the horizon. But so it was. It cools me off just to look at it.
 
This morning is cool so far, relatively speaking, and very still. The photo I took looked just like the one above but it isn't nearly so hot, though according to a local weather station, humidity is at 99%. I don't even understand that. Unusual weather for this time of year; our breathless days usually start late in the summer and into September. But there is no 'normal' for weather anywhere these days and nights. And we are blessed so far. I'll remind myself of that more than a few times until this breaks.

Working outside today to finish what was too hot to finish yesterday? We'll see.

Have a foreseeable Friday! Do something fannish.

No comments:

Post a Comment