Tuesday, June 14, 2011

How We Do Things on Culebra, Sometimes

I'm housesitting for a friend who has a heart bigger than...well, bigger than might be healthy for one human being. She attracts strays like a magnet, stray critters, stray humans, doesn't matter. So I will look after her 3 dogs and I'm not sure how many cats. And I will hope no one brings any drop-offs by because I do NOT have a heart like hers. Last night we watched the moonrise while I got tutored in animal care and names; I think they wil all be called Cat or Kitty or Doggie Doggie unless they manage to sort me out.. Somehow, at the end of the evening, it was thought best for me to walk home, half of that at about a close to vertical degree (ok, not really...but it felt that way) rather than being driven. Baby steps.

 These photos have nothing to do with this post, 
 but I took them yesterday so here they are!

By the time I was on the flats again I was really glad I was outside in the beautiful night with an almost full moon lighting up the world. And glad I have a friend with a heart so big. Well, until about 5 this morning when it was time to get to the ferry, with a dog in a crate, meeting another friend bringing a cat in a crate, both to go over on the ferry to the vet. Doesn't everyone do this on the way to the airport? Sure they do.

 Because if the stream of consciousness writing today 
bores you, you still have something to look at!

After talking a cop into letting us park where he didn't want us, then talking him into helping me put a big dolly handle clip in, then asking another guy to help load the crate with the dog onto the dolly (it's a big crate, ok?), then talking to a few people who were also going on the ferry and asking Susie to pick up some hot sauce ingredients for me if she happens to see them. And then with hugs and farewells, back to the car where, as expected, the cop was not waiting to say anything to me because by now the normal early morning passenger/cargo clusterfu chaos was over with.

 After all, not everyone cares about how we leave Culebra!

And somehow, instead of going back up to the house, where I should be bathing a dog, I am in my own little casita drinking tea for mental clarity. And strength. And because I can type in bed. I'll get there within the hour and re-start my day. Really. Any minute now. Here I go. And one more thing. Karen, come help me wash the dog!

 When the turtles in these nests hatch, 
they will leave Culebra too. But not by ferry.

Have a tranquil Tuesday. Do something non-turbulent. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment