Friday, February 26, 2010

Free Range Friday

Last night was BYOB Thursday at Dinghy Dock, which is growing week by week, adding to social life on Culebra, such as it is. I don't know exactly what Neil made for us, but it was something Mexican and something good. Blaise and Angie, a couple from California visiting Walt and Grady, got me teary with very kind words about the blog (that wasn't the teary part, but great to hear), and the offer of a camera loan while mine is in the camera hospital. Sweet! So one or the other will be coming soon and I can get back to sharing the beauty and bizarreness of Culebra with you all again. Yippee!



As I type, I have banana bread baking for the Treat of the Day at the cart later on. Milka's had some finger bananas in the other day (and the veggie guy often has them) and I can never resist them (and neither should you). I've used this recipe before and it works. The recipe comes from cooks.com.


FLUFFY BANANA TEA BREAD

1 2/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. mashed bananas
1 tsp. soda
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. chopped nuts
Combine flour, soda, and salt; set aside. Combine butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla; cream with an electric mixer for 1 1/2 minutes. Add bananas, nuts, sour cream and flour mixture. Mix by hand until barely mixed; let set 5 minutes. Pour into greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan or greased muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out partially clean. Bake 10 to 15 minutes for muffins.

I substituted plain yogurt for the sour cream and added some ginger as well. I also sliced a couple of left over bananas to lay across the top of the mix before it went in the oven. Don't be afraid to add other things as well, like coconut flakes, or allspice. Banana bread is very forgiving about additions, which I like in a recipe. The Kitchen Aid mixer I bought from Teresa has made baking so much easier. It's old but still does a great job and I'm so glad for it, even if it takes up too much counter space. Thanks, Teresa!

If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll tackle the veggie stand later on. Winter brings customers like locusts on a wheat field and we're all glad for the veggies guys, who work hard and faithfully all year long, showing up week after week even when it is only those of us who live here year round. So use your waiting time to chat with your fellow shoppers, along with seeing what everyone else is buying. Somehow I miss things every time until I see it being handed over for totaling up. Sometimes whatever it is is the last one. But sometimes it can be something hidden under someone's shopping bag.... It's a great time to exchange recipes too.

A shot of the veggie stand on a not so busy morning

Have a fruitful Friday! Do something friendly.

2 comments:

  1. I am sitting in front of this picture with basket in hand, I would LOVE to be filling it with produce from the veggie guy. Sigh.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, we do love our veggie guy(s)!

    ReplyDelete