Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Midway through the week

I've been so confused about time lately, seemingly unable to keep my days in an orderly row. Tuesday slips around four days to become Sunday, Sunday has run away completely. Is it winter? The weather doesn't help, behaving erratically like a swing with a broken rope, swinging wildly between summer and spring before sliding back into the home plate of properly dry and breezy winter. At least I'm not the only entity off track. Yes, it's a reach, but it's my reach and I'm sticking to it.

I decided to ground myself this morning with the familiar chores (and why does chore have a negative connotation anyway?) of baking and finishing off some hot sauce tops. I saved some papaya from the hot sauce I made yesterday to make some  papaya bread this morning. There is something about cooking with a fruit plucked out of a tree 30 feet from the door that just makes me happy...along with making the knowing of what day it is a lot less important. Of course, that's what all people sliding into senility say...or think they say.

Papaya bread - Treat of the Day!

I've mentioned David Lebovitz's blog here before, and today I will again, because, while I can say in general I usually enjoy his posts, yesterday's rose above his normal good into pretty damn spectacular. I read it with the green beast churning inside me, wanting the experience, the sights, the tastes. And wanting them bad! Which, to me, adds up to a pretty good post (plus that I remember it!). So if you want to indulge in a bit of truffling in France without any pretensions, take a little wander into his countryside.

As for me, like the donut guy, it's time to finish the hot sauce. At the cart. Labels and raffia and hole punchers oh my!

These are really two different sauces...Manaya and Bajan, 
but they look the same here. They sure don't taste the same!

10 comments:

  1. Oh to live life without time hanging over my head...sigh. Here is a little ditty from my desk –

    Let your life lightly dance on the edges of Time like dew on the tip of a leaf.

    BTW, the bread looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ditty - and the bread IS delicious, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you eat (YUM) all of these baked goodies you post photos of or do you sell them? I've purchased hot sauce before but I don't remember baked items on the cart. I'll have to look more closely when I'm next on island.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ummmmmm. mine must be in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do sell them at the cart and try NOT to eat them!! I just started doing this not too long back, so do check next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rather than keeping time, maybe there could be a calliope or somesuch to announce things like musical performances. When you missed that grupo you were excited about I thought about a possible solution that wouldn't intrude on your island sensibility. This was the pea brained result.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea to sell the bread from the cart. If I was going to be there this year (enormously large sigh) I'd be first in line to buy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure I understand but with my luck it would sound like the screamer church up the road and I'd drown it out with something and forget why it was playing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. A church for screamers? I may have to re-think my atheism.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my...that never occured to me!

    ReplyDelete