Tuesday, February 2, 2010

It's Groundhog Day (and that's not all February has to offer)

The groundhog below is free to download and color if you like. See if it has a shadow. I'm all about interactive cool tech stuff here, don't say I'm not!


And now you remember. "Hey, it's Groundhog Day again!" If you read this early enough you can catch the Puxy Phil action live, by following the links right here. Frankly, I think all of you out there in Cold World deserve a break; especially those of you from the Southern US, where it is not supposed to be freezing and snowing and god knows what else. So hopefully, ol' Phil will do things right, not see his shadow, and the universe will take note. If not, well...that's why there are planes and boats heading south. Because Groundhog's Day starts and ends early, you will be able to have a Groundhog's Day traditional breakfast of pancakes and sausage to celebrate - dang, I should have told you this yesterday!

Groundhog Day is only the beginning of a slew of special days in February. It's already been done so well by this research writer, I'm not going to reinvent the wheel of February (and please, it's FEB RU ARY, not FEB UARY). But I can't let it go without mentioning  that a few of my favorites are Create A Vacuum day (the 4th), World Nutella Day (the 5th - and if you don't know what Nutella is, a new addiction awaits you. I'm sorry), Get a Different Name Day (which is the 13th - ok, maybe it's me, yet I can't help but wonder if that has anything to do with St. Valentine's Day, the 14th, that, oddly enough or not, is also Organ Donor Day...am I seeing a pattern here?) and Random Act of Kindness Day on the 17th.
Though it wasn't an easy choice, my favorite special day in February is on the 20th and has absolutely nothing to do with Culebra, but I'm going to participate anyway and hope you do too. It's Hoodie Hoo Day, when you are supposed to go outside at noon and, waving your hands over your head, chant 'HOODIE HOO!!!" to chase away Winter and bring in Spring. I can always say I'm doing it for all of you stuck in the freezing, nasty, bitter...well, you know what I mean. Mark your calendars (not the one above, that was for 1956 - click to read the wonderful notes - from Richard Scarry's illustrated Golden calendar. Which may explain why I miss appointments.... sorry Suzanne).

The only extra PR holiday we get is Luis Munoz Marin's birthday on the 18th (which also happens to be the day Pluto was discovered. I do not see a pattern here).

I just got an email from Kylie Kwong (well, I'm sure a few hundred thousand got the same email, but I feel uniquely chosen anyway) about a special February day and an event to go with it. If you or I happen to be in New South Wales, Australia on February 15, we should definitely be at Kylie Kwong's restaurant - named Billie Kwong - for dinner!
I became aware of Kylie Kwong when I was housesitting last year, watching her show on television, and was immediately won over by her personality and style. If you get a chance to catch her program (and you occasionally like to try cooking o a few levels beyond "BAM") you might enjoy her as well. See you on the plane to Oz. Uh huh. That would be Go Fly a Kite Day.

January ripped through like a bat out of hell, and I mean that literally, even though lots of good things happened too. I welcome February as a fresh breeze and plan on staying very busy planning for not being busy at all on February 22, World Thinking Day, which also happens to be Tim Davis' birthday (and I do see a pattern there). Pick your day and your play. It's going to be February for a while longer.

7 comments:

  1. Not to forget Fat Tuesday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and I'm not at all surprised you mention this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the only religious holiday in the bunch...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh...I thought Mardi Gras was a religious holiday...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm assuming you are tugging away at my ankle?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No! I'm totally serious...of course my religion might be a bit askew...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go to English->French Google translate and use the older form Shrove Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete