Monday, December 16, 2013

'Before It's Gone' Post Update Correction!!!

If you listen, you can hear me laughing. I got a call from a constant reader about my post this morning. He gently informed me that the structure I took photos of had NOT, repeat, not anything to do with military useage. It was a cattle scale! The boats would beach, the cattle would be offloaded and led to the scales, then taken where ever they might happen to be going on the island. 

It makes perfect sense. The eye bolts, the center piece, the two foot well at the bottom, yes! Not guns, COWS!

I looked high and low for a scale like the one on Tamarindo beach but couldn't really find one that was similar. Culebra being Culebra, however it was made and used was probably something simple and efficient. 
Which is how we got those big prickly bush trees, by the way, cattle from St. Croix, just so you know. Cattle poop from St. Croix, to be precise. 

So now you know the rest of the much more enjoyable story. I'll try to find out more, I'm sure there are still people around who used those scales, now I just have to find them.
 
Thank you, Jesse!!


3 comments:

  1. we have those painfully thorny bush/trees on st john st thomas too, and it's a type of ACACIA SPECIES of which i just found out, there are many..they originated in africa and the large flat topped ones are common in pictures of africa..that gave access to giraffes at a higher lever than other animals could get to... i will post the link to the picture of the type we are famiar with. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Acacia-horrida.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i forgot to mention that this "sticker tree" is called by the locals , "casha"...........

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's called ryioh here and I have no idea how to correctly spell it. Horrible thorns and super hard wood, I came way too close to seriously hurting myself cutting one down with a chain saw..horrida indeed. BUT I also hear it's mesquite. I have burned some and it does smell wonderful.

      Delete